| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Gastric Bypass and donating a Kidney  (Read 17820 times)

jadedkidneydonor

Gastric Bypass and donating a Kidney
« on: March 03, 2011, 03:14:52 PM »
Okay so I need a question answered please,  HAS anyone donated a kidney with a Rouen-Y Gastric Bypass???

I have had one back in 2002 and told the center to remain nameless (BRUINS)  >:( and now after all the testing, days off work, and money lost I believe they are going to have an issue with this and not let me.  I understand them wanting to protect me however they could have "Protected" me in October and said that you are not a candidate.  However they did not they billed my cousins insurance and now I am weekly iron infusions to beef up my Hemaglobin Money out of my pocket.  I believe tomorrow I will be told sorry you can not dontate.  I need answers please...
thank you

jadedkidneydonor

cinbadl

Re: Gastric Bypass and donating a Kidney
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 12:13:25 AM »
Hi Jaded, having a RNY is NOT a dismissal for  donation. I had a RNY in June and am donating my kidney on Mar 22nd. 

Offline donor99

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 07:57:49 AM »
Gastric Bypass patients with roux en y have donated provided that they meet the centers acceptance criteria. A center does not know if you are acceptable until they do the tests. For example if you are anemic requiring iron infusions you are not a candidate until your anemia is corrected. Many bypass patients are at risk for forming oxylate stones and need to keep well hydrated. Have you ever had a kidney stone? Did they do stone studies? Maybe they show you to be a potential stone former. Keep us posted.

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 08:01:18 AM »
We had a member that donated about three years ago who had a gastric bypass prior to her donation.  - Angelwomyn. Barb was a sweet, sweet lady and I am sure that she would be willing to share her experiences post donation. I remember that she had some different issues and things she needed to be aware of post donation as a result of the bypass.  I don't see that she has registered on the new board, but if you contact Michael he may be able to see if he could contact her to visit the board and let you know of her experience. Best of luck to you!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

jadedkidneydonor

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 11:20:13 AM »
Thank you all for your responses, I have had all the test in October and all was clear.  I have to say the CT scan was the most bizzare thing ever and I really would prefer to avoid that in the future LOL.  Hopefully this will not detour them from saving my cousins life and will allow me to donate.  will keep you posted.

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 04:16:42 PM »
jadedkidneydonor & OrchidLady,

I have Angelwomyn's (Barbara's) e-mail address.  If you want to e-mail her, just e-mail me.  (Click on the "e-mail" envelope under my picture to the left.)

jadedkidneydonor,

It sure sounds frustrating!  >:(  Moreover, do I understand correctly that you or your insurance must pay the costs of all your testing?  Or is it just the cost of "beefing" up your hemoglobin (pun intended)?

Bill
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 04:19:39 PM by WilliamLFreeman »
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 10:59:45 AM »
Please wish Barb a Happy Anniversary today (her 3rd) and hope all is well with her.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

jadedkidneydonor

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 04:38:06 PM »
Shewww the hospital agreeded that the Gastric Bypass is not an issue thank god!!!  Now it is just "Beefing" up the hemaglobin so I dont dip to much and recover well after surgery.  Hopefully the donation for my cousin will occur in the next couple of weeks or next month.  Now I am scared :o :-[  I just want to be okay

Thanks again to all

Offline Morgan

• Conversationalist
    • Morgan's Kidney on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 06:08:58 PM »
So glad to hear that it all worked out!

I know it's hard, but you have to keep in mind that the transplant team could find some reason that you should not be a donor at any time, even the day before. Or they could find some reason that your cousin isn't stable enough to have surgery on the given day. (That was the most stressful part for me. They had a really hard time getting my recipient's hemoglobin up to an acceptable level and keeping it there.) Try not to freak out, and best of luck to you and your cousin!

Morgan

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional