| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Medical secretary donates kidney to close friend  (Read 2814 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Medical secretary donates kidney to close friend
« on: December 09, 2011, 10:09:33 AM »
http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Medical-secretary-donates-kidney-close-friend/story-14091929-detail/story.html

Medical secretary donates kidney to close friend

THEY say laughter is the best medicine, and these women know that better than most – after smiling their way through major transplant surgery.

Alison Morton, 54, is currently in recovery after giving her good friend, Vicky Burn, 56, the "greatest gift of all" – a kidney.

Alison said: "I was excited more than anything; I wasn't really scared, I just wanted to get on with it. Vicky had been ill for so long and I had nothing to lose – well, other than a kidney!

"I thought if I can do it, I will. I had seen her deteriorate over the years and she deserved it because she had been pushing herself to carry on the whole time.

"I don't feel any different – if anything, I feel a bit lighter!"

Alison added: "We are both very positive, practical people and saw it as something we just had to get on with. Now we are just looking to the future, knowing it can now be so much better for Vicky. Now she can plan ahead. We kept that in our minds the whole time."
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional