| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: WHy is BMI for donor so important?  (Read 10413 times)

wants2help

WHy is BMI for donor so important?
« on: January 16, 2012, 06:52:39 AM »
HI! Just posted this on the wrong page, so thought I'd post it on the right page  :-)
My husband got the diagnosis of end stage renal failure a couple of weeks ago.  FINALLY got an appt at the University of Iowa Transplant center for January 31.  It is the first step of many, I know, but at least a step in getting information.  My question- why is donor BMI so important?  I talked to the transplant nurse, and she said they wouldn't even test to see if I was a match for my husband unless I was 35 BMI or less, and they prefer closer to 30.  I don't understand why they would want to put someone on dialysis and a waiting list, when they had someone willing to test, or even do the paired donation match thing- whatever it took to get her husband a kidney!  I would have to lose about 20 pounds to even be tested, but sounds like they want 40 pounds off to donate.  I know being overweight is not healthy, but I have no other conditions except I'm "FLUFFY"   :-)  YES YES YES, I will try my best to lose weight, but seriously- why do a couple of extra pounds matter for donating?  I am otherwise healthy, willing and able.  I am 42, my husband is 57.  We have a 8 year old daughter.  I need my husand to be OK.  I'm sure I'll find out more on the 31st, but from what I've read and researched, BMI is not a problem long term to donator or receipient, so why would that matter?  There are less healthy "not fluffy" people out there.  I am new to this board- so will check postings- maybe it's on here.  To those of you with a similar diagnosis to you or a friend or loved one- my heart goes out to you.  Our "road" has just begun, and it's already painful and heart breaking.  Wishing everyone on here- whether donors, receipents, or just those who care the best of luck! Melissa

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: WHy is BMI for donor so important?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 08:45:10 AM »
The reason why your BMI is so important is that it determines when one is in underweight, normal, overweight or obese category. A BMI between 25- 30 is considered overweight and a BMI of greater than 35 is considered obese. While BMI does not work for everyone (some athletes have high BMIs because of muscle mass) it is generally a good indicator of a healthy weight in relation to height.You mention you are "fluffy". Not sure what you mean but I assume it is not muscular so your BMI is most likely an accurate assessment.

Obesity is linked to conditions like high blood pressure also known as hypertension, diabetes and cardiovascular disease. The question then is does being an obese or overweight donor put you at higher risk than a normal weight donor. This article suggests no difference short term but long term still has not been determined and more studies are needed (http://cjasn.asnjournals.org/content/4/7/1230.full). You can do a search about the long term risks among overweight and obese donors and I think the conclusion is that they just don't know yet what the long term effects are. You can certainly ask your nephrologist for articles to read and be more informed of the risks in order to make this decision.

Personally I think donors should be in optimal health in order to undergo surgery which has its own risks. Not sure if you go to your own physician for a yearly check up, but you may even have high blood pressure or pre hypertension and not even know it as well as diabetes or pre diabetes. So if you haven't you may want to check out your own health with your physician. It isn't just how you feel. That is why they call high blood pressure the silent killer, you don't necessarily "feel" anything while the arteries in your body are being damaged by inflammation. This would be one more step to see if you really are an optimal donor other than the weight issue.

If you do develop high blood pressure or diabetes with a lone kidney then you may be exactly where your husband is... in end stage renal disease or kidney failure. So you ask, why would a hospital not take a kidney from a willing donor? Doctors take an oath to "do no harm" so even if a patient is willing they cannot knowingly risk their life. Would you want your physician to recommend a surgery that will put your health at risk? Patients trust doctors to heal and not harm. It is a slippery slope to start taking organs from living people who are not healthy and risk having donors develop kidney disease or even die. The entire transplant program would fail. Having said all that, there are centers who do accept living donors who are otherwise healthy so you can discuss that with them or another center.

Now all this isn't to say you can't eventually become a donor who meets the health criteria. Recently there was a segment on the Today show (I think but you can google it) about someone who lost a lot of weight to donate to her brother. It takes a lot of hard work and commitment to keep it off otherwise you just put your health at risk. You mention you have a young child who needs both her parents healthy. I work very hard at keeping my weight off with both exercise and diet. It is very challenging so I can relate to the frustration you feel.  I watch my salt intake to make sure my blood pressure stays within normal limits. As a donor, I do not take anti inflammatories like Ibuprofen or Aleve which can damage my remaining kidney. So it does take some work for me to stay healthy.

So I am guessing you know why they can't take a kidney from a person who is not at an optimum weight, but it must be frustrating to see your husband suffer from kidney failure. You don't need to be a relative to donate so you may want to put the word out that he is looking for a kidney donor. Perhaps others who are interested will step up to test for him in the meantime. 

Good luck with your transplant journey and I keep us posted on your progress.

All the best,

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 10:56:08 AM »
Melissa,

Believe me, I can sympathize. I was in the same boat as you around five years ago. We went to do the initial testing both for my husband to get on the list and for me as a potential donor. I should have known something was up when one of the individuals at the day long interview commented that I "might have to lose some weight". When the tests came back, my husband was on the list, and I was told that to proceed much farther in testing that I would have to lose approximately 40 pounds.

It's interesting the stages that you go through when something like that hits you in the face. At first I was angry and in denial : "It's my genes!" "I'm not fat - I'm just big boned!" - you get the picture. But I was indeed overweight. Part of the effects of this were showing up in my A1C level (blood sugar over time) which was .1 over normal, and the center told me that should be discussed with my doctor. It meant nothing to me until my doctor told me she would NOT save the copy of the letter I gave to her - she was going to shred it. She said if she put it in my file, that teeny weeny .1 number was enough to categorize me as "pre-diabetic". She said losing the weight would solve that issue (and it did).

I felt the same as you - I couldn't understand why they wouldn't proceed further to let me help my husband. He currently had an ash catheter in and my hope was to donate before he had to go through the fistula surgery. I had never dieted before in my 50 year life. The center told me I needed to lose weight sensibly (they recommended weight watchers) not through starvation and pills which would do neither of us any good. I remember talking to the coordinator - I thought all I had to do was cut out white bread and sweets and the weight would slide off. She patted me on the shoulder and said "Oh Honey! Women our age (who's she talking about! Women OUR age!) can only expect to lose about a pound or two a week!" She was right on the money with that. It takes time, but when you have determination and a goal, it can be done.  I started in January, and had lost the weight needed by August. They finished the testing, everything well within normal ranges, and the surgery was scheduled for October.

Sherri has given you all the physical reasons why they want your weight in order. The surgeon also told at our first visit that excess weight complicates both the surgery and recovery. If there is too much "stuff" (read as "fat") in the way, they can't do the lap surgery, and, even with the open, they would have a difficult time getting to the kidney. He also commented on their Hippocratic Oath - "first, do no harm.....".  What they are doing goes against that oath, but they do it because it is the right thing to do. Why would they deliberately operate on a person who they know, because of obesity, would have future problems that could be complicated by the procedure they had to perform?  As to recovery, I can't even begin to imagine trying to recover with that extra 40 pounds I was carrying!

In hindsight, this situation of forcing me to lose the weight, was the best thing that could have happened to me. I would not have done it on my own had I not been backed into a corner. Once I started losing weight, I realized all the problems it had been causing me - I just didn't know it before because the problems came on over time and gradually.  Now, both my husband and I are more attuned to the value of our health and well being and take better care of ourselves.

Good luck on your visit on the 31st.  You are more than welcome to email me if you have any questions on how I lost the weight, or just support as one wife to another. All the best to you both, Melissa!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

wants2help

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 05:01:37 PM »
Thanks for the replies!  I had NO idea, until I read the reasons WHY the weight mattered.  As of right now, going to my personal doctor- I have not had high glucose or high blood pressure, but now all of that makes sense.  The only other thing would be- why wouldn't they let the spouse now if they would be a match or not?  Sure, we need to lose weight, but would be a little more motivated if we knew if we'd even be a match or not.  Like I said- this is all knew- like hitting a brick wall.  Lots of questions and unanswered thoughts.  At least now, after several weeks, we finally got the appt- so that helps.  Thanks again for your responses!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 06:30:30 PM »
     One reason for the hospital to not do further testing might be economics. Tests cost money. So if the hospital excludes a potential donor (at least temporarily) because of overweight they may be thinking "No sense spending time/money on further tests until/unless the potential donor achieves a more healthy weight level." One step at a time.
     Another factor (which the hospital will probably not say out loud) is that among all the cases they deal with there may be potential donors who feel pressured/obligated to donate because of family relationship, but inside really do NOT want to donate. So the hospital may offer several ways for the pressured potential donor to gracefully drop out without ever having to actually say "no".  So the potential donor could say honestly:
"I OFFERED to donate, but they turned me down." So along the road toward donation there may be several stages where they give you the chance to gracefully drop out simple by not overcoming the next challenge (large or small) that they present. So, sometimes a lot of patient perseverance is needed.
    best wishes,
       Fr. Pat

wants2help

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 07:56:04 PM »
Well, at least now it makes more sense  :-)    THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT!~

lulugirl

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 02:02:19 AM »
Hello, I am also very new this board & am trying to be a living donor for my husband.  He has started the screening process a few weeks ago so hoping to hear soon. I am concerned about my BMI, I am about 40lbs overweight but have no health problems. I'm 57, husband 61.

I did start Jenny Craig a week ago so Im hoping this will help me loose some weight.  I am very happy to have found this board.

Offline donor99

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 10:46:09 AM »
there are very real medical reasons why obese donors should not donate. Here are a few:

BMI AND RISK FOR ESRD (this is with 2 kidneys)
BMI 30-35 – 3.6 fold higher risk
BMI 35-40 – 6.1 fold higher risk
BMI>40 – 7.1 fold higher risk
when compared to individuals with BMI 18.5-25.
Ann Int Med 2006; 144: 21-28

Obese kidney donors may have increased blood pressure within the remaining kidney.
Higher filtration pressure increases the long term risk of renal damage. This is treatable when identified.
American Society of Nephrology 39th Annual meeting

Obese donors may not compensate as well as normal weight donors  (A t 6.8 years after surgery, 47.2% of obese donors had eGFRs in the NKF CKD Stage 3 range. Hypertension was present in 41.6%, and microalbuminuria had developed in 19.4% (7).  (JAMA  clinical Crossroads 2011)

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 02:16:54 AM »
Hi.  Apart from the good advice several others posted in this thread already, I'd just add a couple of things.
  First (although it's natural to be super-focused on the short-term, to get approved to donate), even once we get past the surgery, we still have to be careful...forever.  Hypertension and diabetes, should they develop, are less fun with one kidney than with two.  Getting used to keeping our weight within proper limits, and watching sodium and (perhaps) sugar intake, are part of the whole post-donation way of life.  In fact, my dietician just put me on a kidney-friendly diet that's low in salt (which I was expecting) and that's low in protein (which I wasn't expecting).  All this is in addition to the weight-loss aspect of my diet.  And I haven't even gotten a chance to tell him I also have to watch cholesterol!
  Second--there really aren't sufficient data yet on the long-term fate of donors.  As previous posters indicated, we already know that's it's important to be careful, but we don't really know the full risk picture yet.  Tracking and reporting are somewhat spotty, for one thing.
   Finally--I suspect that transplant centers may also use weight loss as a little test.  If the candidate can't wrestle his/her weight down for the donation, they are less likely to maintain the appropriate healthy lifestyle afterwards.  Such folks are more likely to face trouble down the road.
   In any case, it looks like now you have a really good reason to do it.  Good luck, to you and your husband.
     Be well, Snoopy

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional