| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: His plan  (Read 2937 times)

Offline Suzie

• Speaking out!
  • Reactions: +0/-0
His plan
« on: January 18, 2012, 05:08:33 PM »
Hello, all!  I'm new here.  Almost 5 years ago my friend, Kevin, lost both kidneys to cancer.  I told him often that I would gladly give him a kidney and quickly started to have the feeling that I really would be the one to help him.  I just felt like I knew it.  He had to be cancer-free for 4.5 years before they would even let us start talking about testing.  I continued to let Kevin know that I was taking good care of "his" kidney.

In the mean time I felt led by the Lord to finally get my weight under control.  I joined Jenny Craig and in 16 months lost 114 lbs.  I knew that wieght loss was the best thing for my health but I had no idea that Kevin's life might be riding on my success as well.  It had never dawned on me that being so overweight would disqualify me from testing, let alone donation.

Finally in mid December three of us potential donors and Kevin all had blood drawn on the stame day.  It was just over a week ago that I found out that I was the best match (one other person was also a match).  I have appointments on 1/30 and 2/1 to get all of the next-step tests done.  If all goes well we're hoping for an April sugery date. 

With all my heart I know that God told me all those years ago that I would be giving my kidney to Kevin.  He saw to it that I got myself healthy in the mean time and He is going to make this happen.  I'm so thrilled to be able to serve Him in this way.  I'll never give birth but now I can give life!  Please join me in prayer that my testing goes flawlessly so that we stay on track to get Kevin a kidney.

Thanks!
Suzie

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Reactions: +31/-0
Re: His plan
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 06:05:51 PM »
Dear Suzie,
     Best wishes and prayers for your donation plans. Keep on getting well informed about the surgery (and its risks). I donated almost 10 years ago, and while I know it was a gift to the recipient I also consider it one of the greatest blessings that God has granted me in my life, and I would gladly do it again if I could.
     You'll find lots of helpful information at this site, so read the past entries and the "experiences of other living donors" section.
                 FR. Pat

Offline PaulaHalvo

• Top 100 Poster!
  • Reactions: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 01:09:46 PM »
Funny, it just hit me today that if I had not lost 50 pounds this year, I might not have been able to donate.  And now your post.  Interesting.  Now I'm scheduled for surgery on the 14th of February.  God's timing!

Offline Suzie

• Speaking out!
  • Reactions: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 01:36:09 PM »
I'm being presented to the transplant board tomorrow morning.  My RN/coordinator told me today that I have a small spot on my lung.  She said that's very common in this geographical area so she expects them to tell me to see a pulmonologist and have a CT scan to verify that it's nothing of concern.  Oh, how I wanted a clean set of tests the first time through.  :(  I so badly want my recipient to know when his 5+ years of dialysis will end.  I'm sure he's disapointed in this delay.

Suzie

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved