| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Bone Grafts  (Read 5931 times)

T.O

Bone Grafts
« on: March 21, 2011, 06:18:53 PM »
I am about to have oral surgery which will include some bone grafting. I have read that if you have had a bone graft within the last year you are not allowed to donate blood. I am going to be tested for compatability for a kidney donation and was not sure if a bone graft for oral surgery will effect my ability to donate a kidney if it is determined I'm compatable. Has anyone had experience or know about this?

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Bone Grafts
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 07:25:01 PM »
     I don't know much about bone grafting. I do know that many transplant centers have concerns about any proceedure or activity of the potential donor by which she/he might pick up an infection (e.g. hepatitis, HIV, etc.) and unknowingly pass it on to the recipient because the infection had not yet developed to the point of being able to be spotted in tests. You can ask the transplant coordinator of the hospital where the proposed transplant wil take pleace to give you a full list of their norms as to how much waiting time there might have to be after any proceedure.
    best wishes,
       Fr. Pat

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 03:07:12 AM »
I agree, you should ask at the transplant center. My guess is that they do not want you to donate either because 1) you need all your red blood cells for good healing of the graft or 2) they need to be sure there's no disease or infection related to the graft.
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 07:25:05 AM »
T.O.,

Add to both replies that it also takes varying lengths of time to be evaluated, depending on the transplant center -- in most cases a minimum of 3 months, with the average time even longer in many centers.  So, it is possible with your center that the work-up / evaluation may itself take up much of that wait time.

Moreover, the minimum wait time after surgery may vary with whether the bone graft to be inserted comes from you or from a deceased donor -- and if it comes from you, do you also need to receive a blood transfusion.  Both those factors are related to blood-borne infections (HIV, hepatitis B & C & D, etc.)  I am guessing that the bone comes from you & that you will not need a transfusion.  The center probably wants potential donors to have a  minimum wait time just to fully recover from any surgery.

Bill
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional