| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: donating to my mom  (Read 6947 times)

Offline helpin mom

• Top 200 Poster!
  • Reactions: +0/-0
donating to my mom
« on: February 11, 2012, 10:01:04 AM »
    I will be donating a kidney to my mom in less than 2 weeks. I am excited to be doing this, yet scared at the same time. Is this normal????

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Reactions: +33/-0
Re: donating to my mom
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 12:41:42 AM »
     Hi. Kidney donation is major surgery, and all major surgery has its risks (as does childbirth). Kidney donation is rather safe, but there have been donors who have sufferered complications, and even a few who have died. So I think it would be unusual NOT to be scared. Some degree of fear/anxiety is, I think, quite normal. It might be well argued that you may face greater risks in the car trip to the hospital than you will on the operating table. Some donors feel more calm, and some more anxious. Some have said that their fears lessened greatly once the time of surgery finally came around, as the waiting can be quite stressful. I hope and pray that the donation will be a success for both.
   Fr. Pat (donor, '02)

Offline Stefeny

• My first post!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 03:21:02 AM »
"With God all things are possible" From the book of MATHEW 19:26. I am a living donor. October 25th, 2011 God blessed our family with another chance at life together. My dad was suffering with kidney disease for a long time and was almost on the verge of dialysis. I donated my left kidney to my father. Today he is healthier and happier than ever. My little kidney started working right away as if it were an energizer bunny cleaning out all the toxins out of him. He was more scared than I was. He never had surgery in his life until that day. I had my surgery at Robertwood Johnson hospital. They were so caring and gentle. I was very comfortable. I prayed the "Our Father" as much as I could... And a few "Hail Marys" to our merciful mother. I prayed until I was put to sleep. It wasn't bad at all. Trust in God, his plan is perfect. Trust in him... Im 26yrs of age and I am not even my dad's biological daughter, yet God put us in each others lives for this. I was a 100% match, who would have thought I would be a perfect match? His birthday was this past week Feb 9th, 2012 and he is healthier than ever. While going to all the doctors visits I have seen the faces of so many people having the life sucked out of them through dialysis  and it breaks my heart that not many people know about kidney disease. We only need one kidney and there are people that wait on the list for years. If I could grow a farm of kidneys I would but I can't. I want to help get the message out so that people will open their hearts to giving someone else another chance of life. What you are doing is such a wonderful thing. Look at me three and a half months later, back to normal. And even better, enjoying getting to watch my dad live a healthy life.

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Reactions: +26/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 07:50:39 AM »
Helpin Mom,

Yes, it is very normal to be nervous! You are having real surgery and one that gives you no physical benefit so it is different than all other types of surgery. Do you have a good support group? Perhaps, you can get a donor buddy from your hospital to help you along. I found it very comforting to talk to other donors, especially donors who were struggling with this surgery. Try to do things this week and next that are calming for you. Walks, exercise, yoga, massages, journal your thoughts, maybe work on a scrap book of this whole event and then add new photos and things as you continue. Make sure all your questions are answered, have someone stay with you at the hospital and then maybe at home for a few days after you are discharged. Each day will get a little bit better. It takes a few weeks for you to feel back to normal. Allow yourself to be a patient even if your mom has been the one sick with kidney disease. Most likely she will feel much better when she has a working kidney and you will feel wiped out. Let your body heal.

Where are you donating? If you post on the regular forum someone else may have donated in the same place and can give you a little encouragement.

Thoughts and prayers to both you and your mom for a full and speedy recovery.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline helpin mom

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 07:33:49 AM »
          Thank you all for your encouraging words,  surgery is now 2 days away it will be done at Ohio State Hospital.  They r takenin the left kidney, guess that ones pretty common. I have been doin alot of prayin, we are on alot of prayer list. I know thats what gotten us both this far, GOD and prayers. She has been on dyliasis for 4 yrs. Shes soooo excited, today is her last treament. We are all planning on a cruise early next year.  Good luck to all of you that have donatated or gonna donate, hope you and your recipent continue to get better each day . It is giving the GIFT OF LIFE.

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Reactions: +21/-0
  • Please give the gift of life!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 10:12:07 AM »
Best wishes!
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, 57 gallon blood & platelet donor and counting!
Rep to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, & Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees 2005-2011

Offline ming

• My first post!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 12:22:07 AM »
Dear Helpin Mom

As i looked at the timing... you are about to go for the miraculous transplant now or perhaps just completed.  I just signed in... am praying for you and your mom.  It is all in God's perfect Hands. 

Looking forward to great news from you. 
I am about to celebrate my one year donation anniversary to my dearest sister.  there was and is never a second of turning back,  all glory to God.

Offline helpin mom

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 05:03:52 PM »
Well we found out my moms atibodies were fighting mine and the gene i got from my dad, so our Feb 24th surgery was cancelled the day b4 we were to b admitted to the hospital. They put us on the shared donor program,our next surgery date is April 20th, hope all goes well this time. Has anyoneone else done the shared donor program?? 

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Reactions: +33/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 12:04:14 AM »
     If you look (and post) at the "living Donation Forum" at this same site you'll find some nice folks who have taken part in kidney "swaps". Not everyboby checks all the forums, so it would be handy to post there as well.
     best wishes,
         Fr. Pat

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved