| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Medical records  (Read 5114 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
Medical records
« on: March 25, 2011, 09:14:58 AM »
  For those who going through donor approval screening, I thought I would mention a seemingly obvious, but handy, tip derived from my own process (which has been going on since last summer).  Be very organized with your medical records.  Depending on where you live and what kind of medical system you're working within, labs, doctors, hospitals, etc., may or may not have access to your previous tests.
  When interpreting x-rays, for example, docs often like to be able to compare current results with previous results.  It's worth rooting around in your house to try to pull together in one place all prior labs, x-rays, ultrasounds, etc.  Try keeping them in sectioned binders organized by chronology, body system, etc.  You never know when being able to pull out the right test results can save a lot of time and energy.  Just recently, for example, while trying to tell a doc that my BP is normally not high, I was able to whip out a sheet with my last dozen "official" readings, which supported my point.  I've learned to lug my two binders to all medical appointments, and have not regretted it.
   Also, if a prior hospitalization, surgery, etc. might bear on your approval, consider getting a copy of your hospital record, especially the discharge letter.  I recently ended up getting a record of my whole, 400-plus page chart from a long-ago hospitalization.  It took about 14 days and around $50, but it might help put to rest some lingering questions.
           Snoopy

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional