| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Worried about recipient  (Read 4868 times)

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
Worried about recipient
« on: March 09, 2012, 12:18:23 PM »
Hello - I am concerned about my sister.  It has been 8 months since surgery and she really hasn't had much of a break.  She started off feeling great, but then quickly had to deal with major tummy trouble from the meds - diarrhea and nausea every day.  She also had tremendous edema in her legs.  They finally switched up her meds enough to where she was feeling much better.  We also found out the kidney disease she has started to attack her new Kidney (FSGS.)  Total bummer, but they think it should still have a decent life-span.  Next came major bloating in her abdomen, she is a little overweight, but she knew it wasn't normal weight gain, but a tight bloated feeling.  They did an ultra-sound and she has large amounts a fluid around her kidney and other organs.  They have scheduled more tests and a CT scan.

I am hoping it isn't rejection, makes me sick to think about that.  Anyone heard of this before?  We hope to know soon what is going on.

Thanks for your support-
Julie
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Worried about recipient
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 12:54:41 PM »
So sorry your sister has had a rough go, Julie!
We were told that the first year is indeed the most critical and the most difficult. It seems that it is a continuous process of tweaking the medication, dealing with side effects, and the body, just in general, adjusting to the new kidney and all the medications.
Hopefully things will continue to resolve for her as time goes on.
Julie, do you think she would allow you to go with her to one of her doctor visits? If she doesn't mind, it might make you feel better to hear what is being said and to know that the doctors have things under control and are looking out for her welfare. I know it helped me to feel like I had a better understanding of what was going on, and to serve as that second set of eyes and ears.
Best of luck to you both!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 06:07:46 PM »
Thanks Orchidlady...great suggestions...I live in Seattle and she is in the Detroit area so going with her to appointments won't work!.  Hoping for the best that things will start to settle down for her.
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 07:08:53 AM »
Hi, Julie.
  Very sorry to hear about your sister's situation.  Good luck to both of you!  Please keep us posted.
   Be well, Snoopy

Offline PaulaHalvo

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 11:54:12 AM »
Julie, I can't even imagine how hard it is to watch your sister go through that.  I didn't have a lot of emotion invested in my recipient, just the process itself.  It must be so hard when it's someone you have loved for years.  I pray that all will be well.  Maybe her doctor would agree to talk to you on the phone?  I know some of my mom's doctors would do that, since I had many more questions than my mom did.  Blessings.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional