| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Weight loss for Transplant & donation  (Read 9920 times)

wants2help

Weight loss for Transplant & donation
« on: March 12, 2012, 08:38:45 AM »
HI! My husband was told by the transplant team he has to lose 40 pounds before he can get a transplant.  I was told I'd have to lose 40 pounds before I can be tested as a donor.  (I am type O blood, so that helps)  He also has a sister who has to lose 25 pounds before being tested.  SOOOOOOOOOO, anyone have some good suggestions for weight loss?  As important as it is for my husband to lose to get a transplant, and for his potential donors to lose- it still is quite a battle!  Also, on a side note- I read alot on here about people being tested, but not a match for their intended recipient.  How come more of those don't go on to donate to others?  Now that I know the WHOLE story, I will definetly push for those around me to seriously consider a living donation.  And, if I can't match with my husband, or if I can't lose in time for his needs, I will definetly donate to another person!  I just wish more people realized how much of a need there was.  Seems like only those with someone needing a kidney ever really "get it" so to speak.  I would have never known had I not stepped into it with my husband.  I have been on the bone marrow registry for years & of course a donor when I am deceased, but never knew about the need or ability to give organs while alive.  Ok, so, suggestions please on the weight loss!  I am sad to say that just knowing I need to for health reasons and for my husband just don't seem to be dropping the pounds.  :-(  Everyone on here is awesome.  I hope I remember to come on often after my husband gets a transplant, and after I am a donor to help others the way all of you awesome folks have!  Melissa

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Weight loss for Transplant & donation
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 10:35:04 AM »
I don't have any great suggestions for weight loss, really. I once lost about 20 lbs by walking every day and cutting down my calories (though I put it back on gradually through the years). People I know have had great success with Weight Watchers. Losing weight is hard!

As for your other question about why people who aren't matches don't donate to someone else: I think for many people it is easier to do if you are emotionally attached to the recipient. I donated to a loved one and honestly, I don't think I would have donated to a stranger unless it was part of a paired exchange in which my recipient got a kidney from the stranger's donor and the stranger got mine. At first we thought we would have to do that, but it turned out that I was able to donate directly.

I don't think I have what it takes to be an altruistic donor. If I'm going to take the risk to my health, it would have to be of benefit to me, too, and keeping my recipient alive benefited me a great deal. I find the altruistic donors very impressive!

Good luck!

Offline rogermims

• Conversationalist
    • Help Roger Mims Find A Kidney Donor
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 04:32:22 PM »
Unfortunately a lot of people feel that same way, which is the reason for such long lists on the NKR. Like when Tom Brady's old coach was looking for a kidney, they flocked by 100's to test. He died....they're all gone!

As for weight loss..yes it is hard to find what works for you. I find doing flushes and changing my diet to like meat only or fruit only helps for me. Can you get medical advice..it's better than winging it in this case.

https://www.facebook.com/rogermims

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 05:38:08 PM »
While transplant centers recommend weight loss to their donors and recipients, they may not stress that this is a lifetime commitment. You can't just lose weight to qualify as a candidate to donate and then revert back to the old habits and gain it back. You will set yourself up for an increased risk of hypertension and diabetes. With your new one kidney status that just may put you on a track for the same kidney failure your recipients is in. I would hope the transplant center would have you maintain that weight loss for a certainly length of time and not just accept you as soon as your BMI is decreased. Being a donor is a life long commitment to maintaining good health.

You can also ask for help from the transplant center and perhaps have a consultation with a nutritionist to help see where you are in your diet and exercise and what you can tweak that would work for you. Weight Watchers is a pretty balanced diet with realistic goals with weight loss of 1-2 lbs per week on average. I would stay away from fad diets that cut out certain food groups. Get into good habits like decreased sodium intake (good idea to watch that as a living kidney donor), drinking at least 1.5 - 2 liters of water daily, eating low fat, lots of fruits and veggies and of course exercising regularly. It is tough, and I find it to be the most challenging aspect of living with one kidney. But many of us on this forum have done it and continue to do so.

Good luck on this journey towards transplant. And keep coming back for encouragement.

All the best,

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 07:04:51 PM »
Sounds like you are in a similar situation with me.  The transplant team asked me to lose an additional 10 to 15 lbs when I did the last round of testing (in the hopes it would help my blood pressure).  I had already lost about 25 lbs prior to that just to get healthier in general (That was from October through early February).  Since my visit with them last month, I am down a total of 37 lbs (25 prior + 12 since my visit).

Key I have found is diet AND exercise.  I finally joined a "boot camp" that includes a personal trainer and also focuses on nutrition.  I will not lie, it was a bit expensive; however, has really paid off.  I was already within the BMI guidelines when I went to be tested.  But, now I feel a lot better.  Even if it does not address my BP issues, I should have done it a lot sooner.  I used to run A LOT, doing 5Ks, 10K's, and half-marathons.  Then I stopped due to work reasons.

I told the Transplant team that I was already trying to get back in shape before I was tested and was committed to keeping it up.  They want to ensure that you understand the importance of maintaining the lifestyle changes needed for someone with a single kidney.

Key I would tell you is just START!  If you can, join a gym or find an exercise partner.  And, don't give up.  I used my potential recipient (my uncle) as a constant motivator since his situation is extremely time sensitive. 

Next step for me is to do the blood pressure monitor toward end of month and hopefuly get cleared for surgery.

I wishyou much luck and hope you have great success!
Scott
Donated right kidney to uncle
October 18, 2012 at University of Alabama (UAB)

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 08:02:47 PM »
Unfortunately a lot of people feel that same way, which is the reason for such long lists on the NKR. Like when Tom Brady's old coach was looking for a kidney, they flocked by 100's to test. He died....they're all gone!

https://www.facebook.com/rogermims

Personally I think you altruistic donors are the real heroes. I hated all that "hero" talk I got around my donation. I feel like I did it partly out of self-interest. Even though I am a social worker and therefore a "helper" by nature, I don't think I would go through major surgery to benefit a stranger. It's a lot to ask! I just wish more family members would step up to be living donors or do paired exchanges. That would help immensely.

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 08:32:36 PM »
I recommend Weight Watches as well.  You can join online if traveling is not conveinent.  They are highly recommended by all health care professionals.  Low carbs and more fresh fruit and veggies, moderate lean protein. Low sodium is also key.  Which will be your diet forever after donation.  Portion control can be started now. 
I was right at the cut off BMI when I donated.  After surgery my recovery was sslllooowwww.  So when I finally got back on my feet and could start walking that is what I did, and walked, and walked more little by little.  I was also determined to get off the extra 25 lbs that had crept on me during the last 10 years.  No more couch potatoes here.  About this time hubby started joining me kicking and screaming on my walks.  He needed to loose 60 lbs.  Well, in 4 months, I lost the 25 and he lost 40!  Then fall set in and cold weather, we joined a health club so we would not go back to where we had been.  We have both maintained during the winter.  We are eating healthy but not as strict as while losing weight, these are life changes.  But soon we will be making changes as hubby wants those last 20 lbs off. He had a very difficult time with the change in diet as he is a carbaholic and a snacker of chips, plus has type 2 diabetes.  He is now off 3/4 of his meds, how great is that! 
Exercise is imperative.  If you can walk, you will burn calories. As the weight comes off you want to tone your body so you don't have loose skin hanging, that is where resistance workouts and yoga come in, or what ever else you fancy. 
Don't be discouraged if it takes awhile to start losing after changing your diet.  Hubby was dropping weight left and right, men have bigger muscles so they burn calories faster, I was still at the same weight, it took a good month before I dropped weight, because I had to build up my muscles!  Sheesh, and I'm the one that was pushing all the fitness stuff.  It was hard for even me to stay motivated, but couldn't let him know that.
Good for you for being proactive in your health, it is going to be the best thing you will ever do for yourself, forever. 
If you need some reading to understand the workings of dieting, try DASH diet for Hypertension, Flat Belly Diet for Diabetics just to mention a few.  A lot of good motivation in them as well.
Can you tell I'm still excited and motivated?!  And we get up at 5 a.m. to work out so I can get home and still get to work at 8 a.m. as hubby is now retired but gets up earlier now than before he retired, haha.  Best wishes.
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline PaulaHalvo

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 10:09:57 PM »
One year ago I decided I needed to change the way I eat. I realized many people have dietary restrictions due to celiac disease, allergies, diabetes, whatever. I needed to just think of myself that way. I cut out all refined carbs and most complex carbs, still eating vegetables like broccoli, green beans and occasionally treating myself to very small amounts of watermelon or cantaloupe. I lost an average of one pound a week. A year later I am 50 pounds lighter. I hope that helps. I have learned there are no magic shortcuts to weight loss.

wants2help

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 08:38:46 AM »
Thanks everyone!  I really appreciate all the help & suggestions!

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 03:44:49 PM »
I had to lose 40 pounds also. The transplant coordinator and center were helpful in getting me started, but they want YOU to take the initiative to lose the weight - they won't push or prod you on this, which I can understand. Their job was to have a successful transplant, not helping me lose weight.
They were looking at it in a long term view - they said don't do pills or fad diets. You lose weight in the short term, but it is not a lifestyle. Their recommendation, as others said, was Weight Watchers.
I started out just walking, but quickly determined that "just walking" (even with a sensible diet) was not going to do it for me. I joined a gym, hired a personal trainer for about 10 sessions, and that was enough to motivate me and get me started.
Don't be discouraged, stay the course, and you will succeed!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
Yes..lose the weight..
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 05:28:41 AM »
Cut down the fatty calories, and exercise a lot.  Cut out the sodas, and  other sweet beverages.  Eat lots of fruit and vegetables.

Exercise every day.   I lost 13 pounds in eight weeks....but I exercised (on the treadmill, 40 minutes every morning), and was careful with every single bite that I ate in those eight weeks.

You can do it...and you'll feel better for it.
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 07:05:59 AM »
Hi, Melissa.
  I was in a similar situation. I had to lose weight (and make sure my BP behaved) to donate, and, since I'd already been on a low-fat diet for several years, a lot of the "low-hanging fruit" such as french fries, cold cuts, cheese, etc. had already been out of my diet; I'm also a semi-vegetarian.  So,  I had to get much more strict about how much I ate (till then, if it was under 5% fat, I more or less ate as much as I wanted, of, say, bread, pasta, etc.).  Now I also count calories, and pay close attention so that I don't "waste them".  One major way to avoid wasting calories is to cut out fruit juices, iced tea drinks, etc.  Empty liquid calories are all around us!
  My health plan approved 14 visits to a dietician after my donation last fall (I've had 3 visits so far).  One tip he gave me was to eat two vegetables before each meal, especially one containing carbs.  I've been using celery and carrots especially. It's helped--by the time I've chomped through all those veggies, I barely have any time left to eat the fattening stuff!
   Another major thing is the sodium issue. I'm really, really careful about that.  So I stir-fry fresh mushrooms (in sprayed Pam oil), say, instead of using the canned, heavily salted variety.  I had never really noticed how much salt there is in bread.  I have never baked anything before, but I'm debating learning how to bake my own bread to cut down on all that salt (bread is still a major element in my diet).  {Does anybody know any good, simple, low-sodium bread recipes? I've found almost no packaged breads in the store without lots of sodium}.
  I was expecting to restrict my sodium intake, but I didn't really expect the dietician to tell me that, next to sodium, I needed most to limit protein consumption in the wake of the donation.  As part of that, believe it or not, he recommended that I choose 5% fat white (soft) cheese over the 1/2% version, because the lower-fat version has a higher protein concentration.  Deliberately choosing a higher-fat version in order to lower protein intake is definitely a new one for me. As a near-vegeterian, I'd always tried to insure protein intake (such as, for example, by adding beans or lentils to rice to accompany stir-fried veggies).  So, now, I actually try to limit that.
   I have to agree with Sherri, alas, in emphasizing that this weight-loss business is for the long-haul, to deal with the somewhat elevated risk of hypertension, etc., for those of us in the one-kidney club.  So that does have to be part of the equation in making the decision to donate.  It's not just until donation. Even (and ever) after, we have to take good care of ourselves.     
   In my own case, that hasn't been so simple.  My donation approval process was quite long, and all that time I felt I had the life of my potential recipient(s) in my hands.  Soon after the donation, I felt I could relax a bit, since now it was "only me" to worry about--all that awful pressure of the extra responsibility (of watching my diet "for two", as it were) was now gone.  So, I "broke training" to some extent, and re-discovered a few long-lost friends such as pizza--even while chomping away on the celery.  So, it is an adjustment, but it's one that we really have to accept.  In the end, everybody says that, when they try to live up to the proper post-donation practices, they really do feel much better.  I'm sure that many donors actually extend their lifespan by learning new health practices before and after donation.
  Overall, the best advice (besides watching sodium, protein, and avoiding getting dehydrated), is simply to eat less, and exercise more.
   I keep hoping the docs advise me to eat more french fries and stop exercising, but it hasn't happened yet.  So (weather permitting), I walk home from the inter-city bus, rather than taking the local bus home from the bus station. Things like that can help.  By listening to interesting classes on my MP3 as I walk, I don't even notice that I'm exercising!
   Good luck!
   Snoopy

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 07:31:00 PM »
Dear Snoopy,
      If you hunt around the National Kidney Foundation site www.kidney.org they try to offer nice "kidney-friendly" recipies and cook-books at the site and in their e-mailed newsletters. Although the recipies are aimed primarily at those dealing with kidney disease they are also good in general for maintaining kidney health, reducing sodium, etc.
   Fr. Pat

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 08:18:59 AM »
We still have a number of "kidney friendly" recipes that we still use from when my husband was on dialysis. As a healthy person, be cautious of building your entire diet around one that is created for a person with CKD or on dialysis. They are designed for folks that have to limit protein, phosphorus and potassium. As a result, a lot of the recommendations and recipes are low in healthful foods and ingredients such as nuts, whole grains, and a number of fruits and vegetables.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 03:17:56 AM »
Dear Fr. Pat and Orchidlady,
 Thanks very much for the handy tips.  Orchidlady--excellent point about applying CKD diets to our situation.  Although my dietitian (admittedly, no nephrologist) did specifically say that, with one kidney, I must first limit sodium, then protein.
  But maybe I should double-check with one of the docs from the transplant center about the protein part.  Maybe the dietitian was simply reasoning from what he was taught about CKD, or something.
  By the way, in my original post, I mentioned that I was told to eat two vegetables before each meal.  I forgot to mention the logic as it was explained to me--it's supposed to help the digestive system "wake up", and thus do a better job of handling the coming meal.  And that, somehow, aids weight loss.  I hope so. But (as I posted earlier), all that chewing does limit my time for eating other stuff, so it's already helping!
    Be well, Snoopy

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional