| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: 2nd Crossmatch test question  (Read 4407 times)

Offline busymom9501

• Top 100 Poster!
2nd Crossmatch test question
« on: April 23, 2012, 05:41:11 PM »
Hello all.  I am new here but have found the information so helpful!  I'm in the final stages of donating my kidney to a dear family friend.  I just had my 24 kidney function test, EKG, CT and chest x-ray done today and everything came out great!

I know I will have another blood test to see if our cross match is still compatible.  If I passed it the first time are chances good that I will continue to be compatible??  She is not receiving any blood transfusions either.

This last test seems to be the only thing standing in the way of scheduling surgery so I'm praying that it all goes well!!

Thanks!
Kim

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: 2nd Crossmatch test question
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 07:39:13 PM »
      The chances are good that the final cross-match will likewise be O.K., but it is not a sure thing. But keep in mind that the possible option fow a "swap" is still there is the final cross-match is bad. (In a "swap" you give your kidney to someone else in a similar situation, and that person's incompatible donor gives a kidney to your intended recipient.) Also in SOME cases plasmapheresis can be used to remove from the recipient's blood the stuff that would react badly to your donation, so the donation would be delayed but not cancelled.
   best wishes,
   Fr. Pat

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 08:40:31 AM »
I think it's pretty likely to be good, though obviously they do it for a reason, so there is a chance it could NOT be compatible...

Like Fr. Pat said, depending on your center, there will still be options. My recipient had a different blood type entirely and they used plasmapheresis to help ensure the success. And paired exchanges are getting more and more common.

Good luck!

Offline busymom9501

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 07:42:37 PM »
Thank you for your responses. I've been all over the Internet looking for odds and information. Ha. I wish their we're more statistics!  I just want this so badly and will be sad if I don't match it again. However, I sure don't want to do anything to hurt her or the new kidney so I'm glad they do double and triple check!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional