| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Cost due to lack of organ donations?  (Read 5427 times)

salecio

Cost due to lack of organ donations?
« on: March 31, 2011, 03:43:50 PM »
I am trying to encourage college students to sign up for organ donation....i want to share with them why its so important but also i want to hit em' where it hurts...so that if the emotional part doesnt do it then at least when we start talking about money, they will def listen up...
I'm having a hard time finding statistics on the issue of money....ie..
Is insurance cost higher because of the lack of organ donations?
When it comes to our pockets what are some good pts to hit?
anything would help!

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Cost due to lack of organ donations?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 07:45:18 PM »
Hi!
I'm not sure that I am completely clear on what you're putting together- are you giving a speech at an event? A presentation?

I really have nothing to offer you as far as what you asked about. As a non directed donor (I donated with no one in particular in mind to receive it) I can tell you that the last thing that might have motivated me (just me, personally.  I cannot and would not speak for any other donor) would be health insurance costs due to a lack of organs.  We're talking about giving up an organ, and it's a Really Big Deal to many people. Have you donated a kidney? Are you considering donation?

I think that you would/will find that if anyone is motivated by something you say, it's the people who sway in that direction anyway.  MOST people, as it stands right now (this moment in time) are scared to donate a kidney, or they hate surgery, or it's not "their" problem, and that's the "norm".  The biggest majority of donors are people who have a loved one in need of a kidney, and they look at donation then.  And even then sometimes it's a very hard decision for people to make.  This is about taking a perfectly good, functioning organ out, decreasing your own function by half and letting the other kidney do what it will or can do to compensate.  That doesn't scare some of us, but I understand why it freaks so many people out.

Living organ donation is simply not something that people can or should be guilted into for any reason in the world. The regime for being accepted into a donation program is also set up in a way that if someone was coming to the decision based on guilt, they would be counselled and probably encouraged to further explore their hearts on the matter before being allowed to go further.

Good luck!!!
Nicki
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline treehugger

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 12:04:22 PM »
I can't tell from your OP, but are you discussing deceased donor organ donation or living donor organ donation? Two very different topics, obviously, but, for me personally, only with the former is it appropriate to "try to encourage college students to sign up for organ donation."

I'm a willing living donor, but I feel pretty strongly about not applying pressure, emotional, financial (?) or otherwise to get people to sign up. Now, if you are spreading the word about organ donation after death, then by all means use the "strong arm" tactics in your presentation. :)
Donated left kidney to my husband via paired exchange on 12/17/09.

Offline Michael Weil

• Conversationalist
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 03:39:21 PM »
I personally believe the most effective motivation to be an organ donor is the desire to help a fellow human. I don't know that the cost of a transplant adds to the cumulative costs of insurance in the United States, but I believe it's been very well established that the cost of a kidney transplant is cheaper than the ongoing costs of dialysis.
---michael

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional