| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Donation & depression  (Read 10173 times)

Offline jennybebopper

• Top 50 poster!
Donation & depression
« on: December 17, 2011, 09:05:18 PM »
I completed my eval to be a donor in early November, and everything from the physical standpoint looks great.  I was honest in my experience with some mild depression on & off through the years, but explained that I feel everything has been stable & well controlled for quite some time.  Ultimately the team decided to delay my donation plans about 6 months as I had recently had a life transition & they want to make sure the support system, etc. is still solid going into this.  (There's no immediacy for my recipient). A bit frustrating, but understandable, and I'm glad the center is watching out for me.

I've still been checking the site pretty regularly, and I don't see the topic mentioned much.  As mental health issues are becoming more prominent - or maybe just our discussions of such topics - how many of you have struggled with depression, pre- or post-op?  For those of you who may have had a diagnosis pre-op, do you feel that your recovery period was particularly challenging?  Any words of wisdom for continued mental wellness?

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Donation & depression
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 11:06:27 AM »
There is a member that donated to her son and afterward is having depression which she never had before in her life which appears to be a permanent diagnosis.   

A kidney is part of the chemical balance of our bodies, some bodies are better able to adjust to changes better than others.

I commend your center for waiting, it seems they really are looking out for your welfare.

My question is in her case with no previous issues, does the recipients insurance pick up the costs of meds and treatment?  But then it was her son, a minor, so it was her insurance anyway, but, it would be a consideration if not.

In your case with a history of issues, if you need to be on meds permanetly and in a doctors care the future cost would probably be on you.  Are you prepared to be able to afford those costs long term.  This may seem harsh, but, it is a question you really need to address as life changes and so does insurance. 
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 01:39:20 PM »
It is great to hear that there are hospitals out there advocating for donors and taking into consideration the emotional toll this type of surgery takes as well as the physical toll.

I did not have a history of depression prior to donating but certainly have an anxious type of personality. I was very honest with the psychologist who evaluated me about my ambivalence about donating, my anxiety about having elective surgery, the family dynamics, the pressure  I felt to donate etc. All he had me do was take some psychological personality test and basically I was approved. No one ever suggested to delay the surgery to give more time to evaluate me or take time etc. This was a pre dialysis surgery so there was no rush either. I would have liked to have had more emotional support at the time.

I assumed that once this was behind me my nerves would calm down and I would return to "normal". I am now 4 years post surgery and just beginning to heal emotionally. I am still anxious about living with one kidney but have learned through several years of therapy how to calm myself. It has been suggested that I use medication but part of my anxiety is not taking anything that my kidney has to filter so I have worked very hard on perspective.

I'm glad you were honest with your doctors and they have your best interests at heart. Both donors and recipients need dedicated health care teams to advocate for them. Good luck on your transplant journey.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 06:40:35 PM »
     I myself did not have any problem with post-donation depression, but I will pass along what I have learned from others so far:
--- There is a notable percentage of patients who suffer depression after ANY surgery, or after childbirth. Different reasons are suggested: the physical effects of surgery/childbirth on the body; after-effetcts of anesthesia/medications; mental up-set from such a life-changing experience; confronting one's mortality; etc. So organ donation would also fit within these categories and depression should be recognized as a possible post-op complication, requiring extra caution for potential donors who have had previous problems with depression.
--- If the transplant takes places and then fails (and sometimes nobody knows why) that can be a very depressing experience for the donor (while of course all the attention is placed on the urgent need of the recipient after transplant failure.) So the question of how well the potential donor could handle such a depressing result should be taken into consideration.
--- While most donors recover very well, some suffer short-term or long-term complications. It can be very depressing to have to deal with that.

So it seems like it is good that your hospital is taking this seriously and cautiously, especially since in your case the need for transplant is not immediately urgent. Take your time and try to get a good picture of how you cam reasonably expect to cope with post-donation depression IF it occurs.
     Please let us know how things develope.
         Fr. Pat

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 08:04:54 PM »
I saw a counselor pre and post donation to help.  I did not like having to slow down to recover, but accepted it after the surgery.  Most of my issues were from transitioning from a caregiver to being a normal wife. 

Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline livingdonor101

• Top 50 poster!
    • Living Donor 101
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 10:56:26 AM »
I've gathered statistics and information regarding the psychological recovery of living donors here: http://www.livingdonor101.com/psychrecovery.shtml
www.livingdonor101.com - Where Living Donors Matter Most.

Offline KellyN

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 05:11:53 AM »
I had very minor depression on and off before my donation. I had never taken medication for it or seen anyone for it. After my donation the depression became quite severe. I did not talk about it (as I was embarrassed about it) and it was never addressed at any point during my follow up appointments with the hospital. With a push from my husband and a friend I finally went to see someone about 1 year after my donation and started to take medication to help. I am now 2 1/2 years post donation and I do still struggle with depression. I am really glad to see that the hospital is taking great care of you and making sure that you are mentally ready. I do reccomend that if you can, you start to see someone that you can talk to before, during and after the donation. In my opinion noone really understands what you are going through after the donation except another donor. This is a great site and has a wonderful group of people that are willing to help. I wish you all the best.
Donor to 3yr old Mira 5/13/09

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 10:40:14 PM »
Kelly, How great of you to share your experience with us.  This is the kind of information we need on this site.  It will make more donors and prospective donors aware of what steps need to be taken before and after surgery.  It will help many to make more informed decisions for themselves.

Best wishes to you and again, thank you.   Janice
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

kidneydonor7

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 09:08:08 PM »
I donated about a year ago.  Great experience....  I wanted to say that I had to take tramadol though for chronic pain that I have had for about 10 years....so I was prescribed this for the post donation and it helped with this issue...so I stayed on it longer.  I will say that although the donation was smooth, it did inadvertantly help with the potential of depression.  I was honest with all of my life issues and was clear and happy to donate, although it did come at a bit of a tough time in my life for sure.... I am just saying although it can only be given for pain, it is an opiode (opiate, or something) and it does seem to really help in that department.  Tramadol is also known as Ultram.  It may help transition.  This of course can ONLY be given by a legit MD for pain, which I had, just noting again, since I couldn't take the normal pain pills as I had an allergic reaction this was a nice fit and if you or any donor is more vulnurable to depression I'd say this is a nice hidden temporary help.

MOST IMPORTANTLY:  A pet theory of mine, from one kidney donor to the rest of you all:  I would say the bulk of donors have a connectedness to most of those you come in contact with, and possibly a deeper capacity to empathy than the outside world, although this appears to you as completely normal - I would venture to say that our Myers Briggs topolgy's are somewhat similar as a whole.   I am saying that because of depression.  It may be the case that after a potential outpouring of the community or those close to you pre donation, that there is a drop in that a month afterwards.  Not that the donor is looking for attention, but if they are an extrovert then the energy loss certainly can occur in the insuing months with interactions lessening, thus this may be the trogan horse conducive to post kidney donors depression that I have heard about.  He or she may just find motivation in connections to others....and that may in some instances lessen post donation.  So, make sure you are making the extra effort to stay connected!  Or you may indeed wrestle with temporary depression (situational if you will)....but this is what it is all about... "No greater love than to lay down your life for your neighbor" - Jesus  ...Sometimes laying down your life is physical, but sometimes it is a quiet inner sorrow and when we pass from this life each second of that will have been more than worth it.  So grateful I was able to donate...I hope something here was remotely helpful :)  Remember, you are deeply connected, maybe now just on a new not so fun level - but there is deep growth occuring whether you realize it or not..

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 08:48:41 PM »
     As there was recently a question posted about depression, I'm just "bouncing" this older exchange of information to the top again.
   Fr. Pat

Offline Lansdowne11

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 11:24:18 PM »
     As there was recently a question posted about depression, I'm just "bouncing" this older exchange of information to the top again.
   Fr. Pat

Thanks for making this topic current again. It's helpful to read about others' experiences.

Offline Rinnierich

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I gave a doctor his life back.
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 12:07:41 PM »
I never really experienced depression ever pre surgery. After surgery I experienced what I would think could be considered postpartum depression. It through me for a loop hands down. I was able to work through it and after 2 months I was back to living normally again. I have zero regrets with donation and I would do it all over again if I had to! Most hospitals do extend to you counseling services pre-post surgery.

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 05:17:20 AM »
There are SO many angles to depression...and one answer just doesn't fit anyone/everyone.  Chemical, physical, spiritual, emotional, financial...ad infinitum---the angles are innumerable...

I'd definitely talk with my Primary Care Physician....and go from there...
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved