| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Local Boy Receives Altruistic Donation, Back on list after 5 months  (Read 3525 times)

DunDonated

My name is Chris, I have just stumbled across this site seeking resources for my recipient's mother as she has once again endured the heartbreak of having her toddler placed on the list. Still finding my way around the site, but wanted to share our news story;

http://couriernews.suntimes.com/news/4656963-418/cville-boy-back-on-transplant-list.html

Quote from: Sun Times Media
CARPENTERSVILLE — The story that seemingly had a happy ending for one Carpentersville toddler has returned to desperate, as the donated kidney he received late last year recently failed.

Once again, the parents of Nathan Saavedra are seeking a kidney for their son, after the one offered by a good Samaritan became “strangulated” just a few months after being implanted.

Nathan suffers from the rare congenital disorder Prune Belly Syndrome, which affects the urinary system. With the donated kidney recently removed, the 2-year-old has been put back on dialysis and continues to face a grave future.

“I was extremely shocked, and for the first few days I was in denial,” said Nathan’s mother, Tina Saavedra. “But telling Chris was the worst part.”

Chris Doing — a former Carpentersville resident living in Palatine — first learned of Nathan’s plight when he read a Courier-News article about the boy a year ago.

Doing, 38, who said he just couldn’t say no after seeing little Nathan’s angelic face, donated a kidney to Nathan in dual surgeries on Oct. 25 in Chicago.

Nathan did well for a few months, Tina said, even though his blood levels indicating kidney function were up and down. Finally in mid-March, doctors discovered that the kidney had twisted and its blood flow had been cut off.

“His creatinine level would jump a little, but we thought ‘no big deal,’ ” Tina said. “We went for more tests, and they said his kidney was moving. An ultrasound confirmed that the kidney was lost.”

Back on donor list

Tina first contacted The Courier-News last spring about the family’s search for a donor and the need for financial help since she and her husband, Jose, cannot work due to Nathan’s condition.

The toddler already had needed a kidney transplant for a year before Doing, a virtual stranger, came to his rescue last fall.

Named for the wrinkled skin on the abdomen due to a lack of abdominal muscle, Prune Belly Syndrome also is characterized by large ureters, a distended bladder, and a backflow of urine to the kidneys.

Without abdominal muscles, the transplanted kidney was not stabilized within Nathan’s body.

“He didn’t have the muscles needed for it to be tacked in properly,” Tina said. “They were planning to reconstruct his belly later on, but they didn’t think it had to be done just yet.”

Now that kidney has been removed, Nathan is currently on dialysis three times per week at Children’s Memorial Hospital in Chicago.

The family has faced great financial hardship, according to Tina. Doing said he is currently planning area fundraisers for the family.

While Nathan rejoins the kidney donor list, Tina continues to ask the public to contact her if they are interested in donating a kidney. The only criterion for initial testing is that potential donors be blood type B or O.

“Doctors said he can receive another kidney six weeks after the first one was removed,” Tina said. “It’s been three weeks already, so he’ll be ready.”

To inquire about testing for donating a kidney to Nathan, people can email Tina Saavedra at nathansaa@aol.com.

An account to help the family financially has been set up for donations in Nathan’s name at Harris Bank.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved