| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: hero worship  (Read 5790 times)

from.my.abdomen.to.yours

hero worship
« on: April 06, 2011, 08:27:14 AM »
So we have a tentative time line for the surgery (looking at Thanksgiving weekend) provided that all of the testing goes well...anyway my recipient posted this on her facebook (she was quite excited when I told her that I just had a few more tests to go before I am approved - the doctors do not foresee any problems). Since then I have been swamped with friend requests and sappy messages...it weirds me out...How do you guys deal with all of the attention? I didn't expect this at all, I just kind of figured that I'd donate quietly and people would be happy for my recipient and that would be that...I get that people are excited that she's getting her transplant but sheesh....

anyway, on a funnier note I got all of my supplies for my 2 24hr urine collections today so I am carrying around 2 huge jugs, a "toilet hat" and a funnel with me around campus because I don't have my car today, LOL boy am I getting some strange looks, HAHAHAHA

Offline sleepr

• Conversationalist
Re: hero worship
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 02:29:06 PM »
I donated to my ex gf last Jan, and I'm still not used to the hero worship. I have had people hug me out of the blue and tell me how great I am. I try to put it back on the person heaping praise on me by suggesting they would do the same for a loved one if put in a similar situation. At the end of the day I looked at the donation as an opportunity to make a difference and I explain it that way. I'm due to receive a freaking medal from the Transplant Program in May and am still debating on whether I should attend. I hope over time the worship will fade as it makes me uncomfortable.

But that being said, kudos to you, you are about to change someone's life for the better.

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 12:26:46 PM »
Use it as a platform to educate the public about living donation if or when you can. You'd be surprised how few people know about it, and as you can see by the way people react, it's still a Big Deal out there.
You should go receive the medal, it's another opportunity to say "Look, people, I appreciate this and all, but the true heros are the people who made any of this even possible. If you have been inspired, I urge you to look further into donating yourselves."
Most people, I have found, just will not understand how we think and how it seemed like a good idea to give up an organ. 
On Sunday I'll be reading a script in front of I don't know how many people at the National Kidney Foundation Great Chefs of Minnesota fundraiser because I was the non directed donor that started the first ever kidney chain in the midwest. It's nerve wracking, but it's just another chance to say "Hey, I'm a mom with 4 kids. If I can, you can. If you can't, there are other things you CAN do. Maybe not for this cause, but for whatever moves you. DO IT."
I get to be with the whole magnificent kidney chain of brilliant souls again on Sunday too. Can't wait!
Probably one of the all time best aspects of donating for me was that the people closest to me who couldn't understand or believe I would do something like this came to understand...as soon as the nurse told me that the kidney was working well and peeing up a storm a state over, there were happy tears all over the place, like they finally saw the Whole Picture. And it's not EVEN the whole picture- there are entire families affected by your donation...the waves of it are never ending. It's a good thing.
Show the world what is possible. Sometimes it just doesn't occur to a person that that is something they can do until they meet someone who has done it.
XO
Nicki
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 09:14:06 PM »
I second that this is a great opportunity to educate other about living organ donation. I find that people are fascinated and very curious when they find out I donated a kidney. It has now been a year and a half since I donated, so most people have known for a while now and it is not such a big deal. When they all first found out, they had a lot of questions and I was happy to answer them.
Right now, it is very new for you and there are a lot of people finding out at once. After a while, it will only be a few people here and there that find out. I imagaine right now it is very overwhelming to you, with so many people finding out all at once.
You are doing a fantastic thing and I wish you all the best!

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional