| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Living Donor  (Read 5532 times)

IslandGirl

Living Donor
« on: April 09, 2011, 02:34:29 PM »
Hi, This is my first post, I am new to your board. I am a living donor (to son 1 yr. ago), prior to donation BUN and Creatine were low/normal 8 and .6, now they are 22 and 1.3 should I be worried??? IslandGirl

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Living Donor
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 06:50:39 PM »
     I don't know much about BUN. But aafter my donation (9 years ago) my creatinine was around 1.3 for a couple of years before going further down, and each doctor I consulted for check-ups over the years judged that it was not a problem and was "normal" for a one-kidney person.
   Fr. Pat

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 11:22:11 PM »
Age and race and gender do play a factor into BUN and creatinine. So what is normal for a 60 year male old may be a little on the high side for a 20 year old female.  The doctors also want to see if your numbers are increasing or if they have been constant. What was your creatinine 6 months after the surgery? Has it gone up? Is 1.3 an increase for you or is this stable? Other things to ask is if there was protein in your urine. How is your blood pressure.You should be followed by your transplant center after the surgery for 6 months, 12 months, and 2 years. This data is required to be transferred to UNOS/OPTN so that statistics for living donors can be tracked. I suggest you call your transplant center with your lab results and have them looked at to determine if these values are appropriate for you and also to keep them informed of your health. These are normal tests that should be done as a living donor and frankly for everyone at an annual physical.

Let us know how things go.

sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

IslandGirl

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 02:13:46 AM »
Thanks for the information it is VERY helpful and I will contact my transplant center 3,000 miles away to do exactly as you suggest since I hadn't thought of that, this is a terrific help, really, all the best.

:D

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional