| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Pre-Surgery Donor Update  (Read 6176 times)

Offline Prelude_Sarah

• Top 50 poster!
Pre-Surgery Donor Update
« on: April 11, 2011, 01:58:44 AM »
Well, after a lot of soul searching and testing, it's official - I'll be donating my kidney to my little sister on May 4th.  I'm finding now that the biggest struggle is just coming to terms with the idea of the operation itself.  I get a little panicked when I think about it too much.  But, I'm trying to gain a real sense of trust for the Universe and the way of things through this situation.  It's like, all I can do is my best, and the rest is out of my hands.  I hope and pray that this operation goes smoothly for my sister and I, and that we both thrive and live vibrant lives.  Thank you all for the support, I'm grateful for this message forum.  I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes :)

8)
Donated left kidney to younger sister on May 10th, 2011

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Re: Pre-Surgery Donor Update
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 09:30:26 AM »
Best of luck to both of you! Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help you prepare. For starters, there's a list of suggestions on this LDO web page: https://livingdonorsonline.org/SurgeryTips.html
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:39:10 PM »
Sarah,

As the surgery date approaches it is normal to feel that anxiety and nervousness. I remember it well! Knowing that you have a good team of doctors who will care for you before, during and after your surgery will help ease your mind. Make sure you have a good point of contact to ask questions and put your mind at ease. Maybe speaking with other donors who donated at your hospital will help. You can ask for a buddy. Just remember to be kind to yourself, take the time you need to recuperate. This is not a race and everyone is different. Like any major surgery you may experience a lot of pain or discomfort. There are meds to help and best of all in time you will feel back to yourself. I know this was a difficult decision for you and I'm glad you found your peace. Looking forward to welcoming you to the club.

Where are you donating? Maybe some of our posters donated at your center and can answer some of your questions.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Prelude_Sarah

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 10:34:58 PM »
Thank you so much for the support!  Sherri, I'll be donating at University hospital in Aurora Colorado.  It has been quite the struggle, but I'm so happy that I've found my peace with this decision.
Michael, thank you so much for the article, it was very helpful to read! 

My sister has been really really sick over this weekend, she's not keeping any food down, she's so cranky and irritable, all she wants to do is sleep.  I'm really worried about her and hope that she recuperates enough to keep the surgery date of May 4th.  I understand that if she's too sick, they have to wait to do the surgery. 
I'll be sure to keep you all updated. 
Donated left kidney to younger sister on May 10th, 2011

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 09:23:25 PM »
Congratulations Sarah!

I am glad you were able to make a decision you are comfortable and at peace with. You are doing a fantastic things for your sister. Michael and Sherri have both given you great advice. Please keep us updated as to how everything is going for you!

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
You are doing a noble and wonderful thing...
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 06:47:52 AM »
My pre-surgery advice:

1) If you are addicted to caffeine, now is a great time to start weaning off the stuff---or give it up completely.... you won't regret this.

2) Make sure you have all the "small details" arranged:  A) Who will help you with your housework, grocery shopping, and other chores, since you can't do any "lifting" for about 8 weeks.  B) Points of contact at the University Hospital in case of emergency once you are discharged, and C) all the "family" or "work" stuff is cleared up....

3) I agree with the others: TAKE YOUR TIME.   Check into what the Colorado State Laws are concerning living organ donors and time off from work, if you are employed....
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 04:41:37 PM »
Phil - #1 caught my eye as I am in the final stages of testing to be a donor for my sister...what is the importance of giving up caffeine?  This may be my biggest challenge if indeed important!

Thanks!
Julie
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional