| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Chances of Being a Bone Marrow Donor  (Read 11356 times)

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Chances of Being a Bone Marrow Donor
« on: April 15, 2011, 09:04:42 AM »
We had a bunch of LDO folks sign up for the bone marrow registry recently (including yours truly), so I thought you might be interested in this article on the odds of actually matching someone:

http://www.bethematchblog.org/2011/04/what-are-your-chances-of-donating-to-a-patient/
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Chances of Being a Bone Marrow Donor
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 09:48:48 AM »
My husband and I (and my adult children) have been members of the National Bone Marrow Donor Society. We tested about 12 years ago in our community when someone was looking for a donor. My husband has been contacted twice indicating that he was a match for a potential recipient. The first time was, ironically, exactly a year after my kidney donation surgery. He answered health questions and sent in some medical forms etc then heard back 3 weeks later that the potential recipient passed away. Recently, he was contacted again that he was a match. Went through the same questions etc and has never heard back. He tried to call, no one returned any phone calls. It seems like they really aren't that interested in following up with their potential donors. I know health professionals are busy, but a phone call or email just letting someone know if the recipient is unable at this time to receive the donation, or the donor did not match sufficiently would be appreciated.  You kind of just wonder what is happening and if this system really is reliable. Has anyone else ever been contacted?

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Turtle

Re: Chances of Being a Bone Marrow Donor
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 11:01:40 AM »
I was contacted a few months ago, and went for a work-up.
I signed up on the registry about 15 years ago, for an unrelated matter with a co-workers son.
Just heard back that I was released...
I heard the odds are 1 in 10,000, but in the last few years the bone marrow registry is now somewhat "global".
If you do get the call to donate, you could be donating to someone in Germany...or wherever...currently there are 42 countries sharing profiles.

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional