| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Any Runners Out There Who Can Offer Some 1/2 Marathon & Marathon Advice?  (Read 5787 times)

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
One of my biggest fears about donating was that I wouldn't be able to really run again (or at least not like I used too).  Well, given that I have to keep in shape post-donation and the weight-lifting/abdominal restrictions - the running bug is a blessing! 

I will be about 3 months post surgery in a few weeks.  Since surgery, I am back into doing a lot of running and building up distance over speed.  But, speed is building back up at a surprising rate as well.  I was concentrating on distance versus speed because I know that I can't rely on Ibuprofen ("Vitamin-I") now for sore muscles  ;D.

Initially I was worried about staying hydrated given the single kidney situation.  As I have been building up I am finding that I am actually not consuming as much water as I thought I would and staying hydrated hasn't been an issue.  But, again, I have been running at a slower speed and concentrating on distance.  I am doing a local half-marathon here in Memphis area in March (Germantown Half in case anyone is local and wants to join me).  Based on my current training I know I am good with that distance as long as I watch my pace.  I am already able to sustain a decent pace and complete 12 miles without crashing as long as I use good judgment.

But...  I am training for a full Marathon in Louisville, KY (Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon in case anyone is interested in joining me on that one).  The longer distance one makes me a bit more concerned on staying hydrated for the longer distance.  And, it will be my first marathon. 

Are there any single-kidney runners on the forum who have done half marathons or other longer distances who can provide me some advice, input, or suggestions that I should be considering given the single kidney situation?  Any input is greatly appreciated - I just want to finish it without crashing out.  It is a personal goal that I always wanted to do before I donated so doing it post-donation is going to make it even sweeter.

Thanks in advance - Scott
Scott
Donated right kidney to uncle
October 18, 2012 at University of Alabama (UAB)

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Any Runners Out There Who Can Offer Some 1/2 Marathon & Marathon Advice?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 11:02:26 PM »
Dear Scott,
     Hi runner! I had not been running before kidney donation (11 years ago, at age 56) but took up a bit of running afterwards to help recovery. Then I got enthused to build up and see if I could manage the 5k race at the Minneapolis "Transplant Games" in 2004. I was delighted to succeed in that, and then kept building up the distance and did my first full Marathon in 2006 (4 years after donation). Since then I have run 3 other annual full Marathons (slow, takes me 6 hours) and gotten put on the bus in 2 others at the 2/3 point for being too slow. I've done several half-marathons as well. Last year at age 66 I did what I think will be my last full Marathon as it was quite hard to make it in the required 6 hours, but continue with half-marathons, but only once or twice a year.
     I have read (don't know if it is proven or is just from anecdotes) that we one-kidney folks are not more suceptable to dehydration that two-kidney folks, but if we DO get dehydrated it will hit us harder and faster than two-kidney folks. So we don't have to drink any more than two-kidney folks, but do have to be especially careful to keep normally hydrated.
     The next "Transplant Games" will be in Texas in 2014, and while most of the athletes competing are organ recipients (heart, kidney, lung, liver) a good number of living donors also compete. They are generous with the medals (to encourage everyone) so in my "oldies-but-goodies" category I have sometimes gotten a medal just basically for reacing the finish line alive as there were only 2 or 3 "men, 60-70" in the event. But the longest race there is the 5k, although there are longer bike races. You can find info at www.transplantgamesofamerica.org and they will soon be starting to organize State and regional teams for the 2014 Games.
     best wishes,
       Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved