| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Decision Day  (Read 4723 times)

Offline shelley

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Reactions: +4/-0
Decision Day
« on: April 19, 2011, 03:40:25 PM »
I would really appreciate anyone's prayers, positive thoughts, psychic pushes (heh)... toward the Medical Review Board at Swedish Hospital in Seattle tomorrow.

After a YEAR, a whole stinkin year of waiting, they are finally going to decide whether or not I can donate my kidney to my dear friend Heather.

Of course I don't want them to approve me if there's some medical issue I can't see down the line.  But I do want as much favor as I can possibly get, in their eyes!

So, thanks for whatever you do.

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Reactions: +21/-0
  • Please give the gift of life!
Re: Decision Day
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 06:48:16 PM »
Best wishes!
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, 56 gallon blood & platelet donor and counting!
Rep to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, & Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees 2005-2011

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Reactions: +32/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 07:20:40 PM »
Prayers and best wishes for you both. Please let us know how it turns out.
   Fr. Pat

Offline shelley

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 08:27:16 AM »
Thank you, Clark and Father Pat!  I will post the results, one way or the other.

I began the process of qualifying a year ago.  After 6 months of testing, the hospital decided my recipient needed to be immunized against hepatitis B, since I'd had it 30+ years ago.  That process takes 6 months.  They also wanted me to bring my blood pressure down, which I did, my 24-hr mean is now 114/63.

So now that I've brought back the broomstick of the Wicked Witch of the West, it's time for the Wizard to send me home... er, say I can be a donor!

Offline shelley

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 06:43:33 PM »
UPDATE!  The medical review board has given me a preliminary thumbs up, providing I take 2 more tests:  a stress echocardiogram (which I know I will ace, heh) and a CT scan with dye to see the status of my kidneys.  From what I've read around here, this is one of, or the last, tests done, isn't it?  can anybody verify that? 

I am, shall we say, pee-your-pants excited!  or if that offends you, just go with "excited".

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Reactions: +32/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 06:51:04 PM »
     I had the CT scan early in the process. I'm not sure if it is done more than once in some cases. The technician giving me the scan explained that the first thing they have to check is whether there ARE 2 kidneys, since a small percentage of people are born with only one (or with 3 or 4 small ones) but never notice unless a scan is made for some reason. Then, with the dye, they can see exactly where the blood/urine vessels are.
        Fr. Pat

Offline shelley

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 08:12:41 PM »
Well, I think I have two.  It's just a feeling I have.  One is named Sidney and that's the one I'm going to give Heather.  Gonna ace both these tests and we are gonna do this thing!

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional