| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Man Gets Kidney After Posting Facebook Plea  (Read 3723 times)

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
Man Gets Kidney After Posting Facebook Plea
« on: April 22, 2011, 03:22:41 AM »
Man Gets Kidney After Posting Facebook Plea

High School Acquaintance Donates Organ

Reported By Jonathan Martin
POSTED: 4:52 pm CDT April 21, 2011

NASHVILLE, Tenn. --
He'd almost given up on ever finding someone to donate a kidney until his post on Facebook led to a phone call from someone 2,000 miles away.
Video: Cali. Man Gives Kidney To 1986 Classmate
It was an unlikely reunion. Tim Magsby and Randy Riney hadn't spoken in 25 years, living on opposite sides of the country. Now they're forever connected.
Magsby was in desperate need of a kidney, but with hypertension a problem in his family, those closest to him were ruled out as donors.
After four years on dialysis, waiting, he almost lost hope.
"I told my wife one night, I can't do it. I hate dialysis," Magsby said.
He decided to take a chance on Facebook, posting a video pleading for a kidney.
Months went by, and no one seemed willing. But one night, Magsby got a call from California. It was Riney, a high school classmate from 1986. He'd seen the video on a mutual friend's page and wanted to donate a kidney.
"I've learned in life, there's the good voices that tell you to do stuff and there's the bad voices. That had to be a good voice," Riney said.
"My initial thought: I hope this guy not playing with me," said Magsby.
Even though Riney was willing to donate his kidney, there was a big question: Would it be a match? Both men ended up having the same blood type, and doctors said it was a near perfect match.
"Oh, that's God. Nothing but a miracle," said Magsby.
"I'm glad I could do it," said Riney.
After a successful surgery, both men are recovering at Vanderbilt Medical Center. Magsby said he's happy he'll have more strength for his family.
"I'm elated, overjoyed. I've gotten my life back," Magsby said. "I've let him know that he's my hero."
The men should be able to leave the hospital Friday. Magsby said not having to worry about dialysis will allow him to get more involved in his church again, where he's a minister.

http://www.wsmv.com/news/27629615/detail.html
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional