| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: AGE RESTRICTIONS  (Read 5882 times)

georgiaking96

AGE RESTRICTIONS
« on: April 24, 2011, 12:43:36 AM »
Hello,

First off, what an amazing website! I have explored it and found it most rewarding and helpful. However, my situation seems to be uncommon because I cannot find the answers I am looking for. Please do not patronize me posting this next set of information, but I feel it is medically relevant and I have taken the neccessary precautions to protect myself (some people have scolded me in the past).

I am a 15 year old girl and I would like to donate as much as possible. No family member of mine is sick, so the recipient would be anonymous. As well as bone marrow, I would very much so like to donate my kidney. I have researched all the side-effects of kidney/marrow donation, and I know I could be rejected after being screened.

Which leads me to my question - at what age can I finally donate my bone marrow, blood and kidney? All of the answers I have recieved have been vague (so far), and I was wondering if someone could help clarify as to whether or not their is an actual law against this, or if people are just wary of operating 'unneccessarily' on a young teen.

It bothers me, because unless donation at this age would absolutely be detrimental to my health, why am I being stopped? People need marrow/kidneys all the time, and I could help. Time is of the essence, isn't it? Why wait until I'm older if people are dying now?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, and once again, a wonderful website!

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
Re: AGE RESTRICTIONS
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 05:10:10 AM »
Hi Georgia,
My daughter needed a kidney at 18 years old, but the hospital would not consider any donor younger than 21, even though their literature said 18 years old as the minimum age they would evaluate. They were reluctant to remove a kidney from young adults and I think it is wise. Transplant centers vary in their procedures but I believe most will not take any organs from minors. You may not be aware of your family's health history until you're older and your parents or grandparents may develop high blood pressure or diabetes, so this information would be important. I admire you for being interested in organ donation and I hope you continue to learn and perhaps someday you can donate.
Regards,
Karol
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline Sarah in Maine

• Top 100 Poster!
    • Maine Land Law LLC, PA
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 05:54:05 PM »
As far as a living organ donation goes, it will depend upon the transplant center, but I would be surprised to find any centers that take non-directed donors under 18 (or even directed donors, for that matter, but they are all a bit more strict with non-directed donations).  And of course under 18 you will need your parents or guardian's consent, at a bare minimum.

As for blood, I remember making my first blood donation while I was in high school and I don't remember having to get my mom to sign off on it, but that was in the 1980s.  The Red Cross website lists the current minimum age as 16 or 17 depending on the state.  I definitely recommend getting started with blood donations as soon as you are old enough --  each pint of blood truly saves a life just like a kidney does, and you can give so much more!  check www.redcross.org for more information.  I know that they have a page describing the eligibility standards.

I don't know the answer about bone marrow either, but as it is a surgical procedure I'm sure you'll need parental/guardian consent there too.  But check www.marrow.org to find information there.
(The websites I gave you are both for the American organizations, if you are in a different country just search for the organizations in your country.)

If you are still too young to donate, you can make a real difference by helping to volunteer at a blood drive or a marrow donor drive.  Those websites should have the info you need.  And getting started early with the volunteering will both educate you and show the adults in your life that you are committed to the cause so that, when you do become age and medically eligible, you may get more support and less patronization.

Best of luck!  --Sarah
-- Sarah in Maine
Donated my left kidney in NEPKE's "list exchange" in October 2008 allowing my mother to receive a deceased donor kidney in November 2008.

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 10:59:19 AM »
Dear Georgia,

Bravo for doing your research and coming to the conclusion that you, personally, want to help.  The emphasis on minimum age restrictions for donors is all about informed consent, donor safety, and societal squeamishness about voluntary invasive medical procedures and surgery on youths whose physical development is still incomplete.  Sorry you've got to wait, but you can start volunteering to organize school and community blood, marrow, and organ donor registration drives right away.  I've been donating blood since I was 17 and organizing blood drives since I was 18.  This weekend at Anime Boston, of 18,000 fans, most in fantastic costumes, more than 200 took time to try to donate blood to the American Red Cross.  They succeeded in donating 151 units of blood.  It took me, personally, more than 15 years to donate that much.  Organizing successful blood drives, that attract repeat donors, is a desperately needed service in this country and worldwide.  Message me if you want, any time.

As for specific restriction information, I hope these links are helpful:

Blood: http://www.redcrossblood.org/students/sixteen (The states each set their own consent legalities, the FDA regulates practice, and the ARC, AABB, and hospitals all have to follow these rules.)

Marrow: http://www.marrow.org/JOIN/FAQs_about_Joining_the_Registry/index.html#under18 (Set a reminder to request a swab kit for your 18th birthday!)

Deceased organ: http://organdonor.gov/becomeWhoCan.asp#reason1 (Talk to your parent(s)/guardian(s) about your preferences and consider requesting formal legal end of life documents be drawn up.  Be really careful how this conversation is handled.  Others may jump to unjustified conclusions about why you're interested.)

Living organ: http://books.google.com/books?id=9d6hwYiCfV4C&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=age+of+consent+for+living+organ+donation&source=bl&ots=Mhb4xsYmZH&sig=iFajE0T5uqavUIEBmJtVFNkENKc&hl=en&ei=4Iq1TYapH4O-tgfUiZ3qDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=age%20of%20consent%20for%20living%20organ%20donation&f=false ("In the United States from 1993 to 2002, 35 minors, ages 11 to 17 years, were living donors."  Not impossible or unlawful, but you're extremely unlikely to find a transplant center willing to even begin testing before you're able to give legal consent.)

Best wishes!
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved