| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Confirmed Surgery Date!  (Read 8909 times)

Offline upnover

• Top 100 Poster!
Confirmed Surgery Date!
« on: April 29, 2011, 12:10:20 AM »
Met with the surgeon yesterday and confirmed the surgery date for June 7th. The meeting was short, about :20 minutes for him to tell me about the procedure (Laproscopic), post op recovery etc. Sounds like he knows what he is doing:) He even said I could get someone to take some pics of the kidney.

I guess now the waiting begins. I am so pre occupied with starting to build a house that it's hard to give much thought to whats coming up. It's funny to hear the reactions you get from people whom you have to tell. It's everything from astonishment to un belief that a person would do this. I'm not sure what the rest of you heard but I sure dont want the hero status that seems to go with this.

I just have to break the news to my recipient that the kidney comes with no warranty and no returns....as is where is.

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Confirmed Surgery Date!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 03:44:31 AM »
The recipient already knows that....

Where are you having your surgery?    How old are you?   How can we help you?    I was a living kidney donor EIGHTEEN months ago....and I feel fabulous (on most days).
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline llinton98

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 12:48:40 PM »
No matter what,you will be called hero, angel, saint....Just tell em you're an ordinary person who is lucky enough to be able to do a really extraordinary thing.

We're pulling for you!

Laura

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 09:41:51 PM »
Congratulations on getting your donation date! You are very correct about the various reactions. People are facinated and intrigued by living organ donation. I agree with you - I didn't need or want any of the  "hero" status either. Whenever it comes up, I try to use it as an opportunity to educate others about living donation.

I love the comment about the the kidney not coming with a warranty or returns - that made me laugh!

You are doing an awesome thing and we are all proud to welcome you to the club. We are all here for you whenever you need us. Please keep us updated.

Wishing you and your recipient all the best! :)

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline upnover

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 12:53:44 AM »
The recipient already knows that....

Where are you having your surgery?    How old are you?   How can we help you?    I was a living kidney donor EIGHTEEN months ago....and I feel fabulous (on most days).

I live just outside Edmonton, Alberta, and I'm 51....how can you help?

Well if you know how to pray, think of my recipient and pray that it goes well for him that day and that the kidney lasts him longer than the rest of his other organs!
This has been a great site. I really appreciate all the support and insite that others wish to share. This is a wonderful community of support.

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
Very, very excited for you.
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 02:30:38 AM »
I gave my left kidney to a former college professor friend of mine, a little more than 18 months ago.   

I will be praying for you.    A few things I would suggest:

1) Drink plenty of water, between now and then

2) Get some good exercise...

3) Develop a plan for your "post-operation" days.    Get an idea how long you will be in the hospital, who will be helping you once you are released from the hospital.   You'll have some "lifting restrictions" for at least 6-8 weeks.   

4) Follow all of the post-operation instructions TO THE LETTER.....
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 09:02:28 PM »
I am glad I am not the only person that asked for pictures of the kidney! 
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline upnover

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 12:06:26 AM »
What would you suggest for exercises? I am trying to do some walking, sit ups etc.
The biggest problem I forsee is trying to keep my house construction ongoing without adding to my misery. I have a contractor doing most of the work but I do have some thing to do to keep the project on going. But I will have to keep it in check!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 07:31:25 PM »
Dear "Upnover",
     The day AFTER my donation surgery (open cut) the surgeon recommended that I do bending and stretching exercises, but halt when I felt pressure/pain at the incision, hold that position for a few seconds & then relax. The bending and stretching seemed to help a lot in the recovery. So it might be helpful to get into a bending/stretching routine ahead of time, so you will know your starting point as you gradually and gently get back to that afterwards.
     Some donors have used a licenses massage therapist after the surgery (one who is knowledgable about what type of massage is safe and helpful post-surgery). If that interests you, you might want to look for one ahead of time. But insurance probably would not pay for it.
   Fr. Pat

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 03:11:21 PM »
Best of luck to you upnover! One thing you may want to do pre-surgery is ask to work with a physical therapist. I was fortunate in that, at the time of surgery, I was working with a phenomenal personal trainer who was well versed in pt and what was needed pre-surgery. Remember that your mid section will be toast - it will be your arms and legs that will be lifting you up and down from the bed, chair, toilet, etc. Your abdominals will not be of use, and that can also put stress on your back. We worked on some exercises that strengthened the other muscles that would need to be used, as well as some functional type movements that would be important in recovery.
When he called to check on me about a week after surgery, I told him I could not thank him enough for working with me the way he did with an eye towards the surgery. It became very evident the first time I tried to sit up how important those other body parts were that had to take up the slack!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
Yes
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 05:43:37 AM »
Your abdomen will be sore for a little while...bending, sitting,  will be bit uncomfortable...

But I would recommend seeing a good physical therapist beforehand, and make sure your primary care physician  AND surgeon explain as much to you as possible.

And this board is a well of information.

Phil Hoover
Chicago

Offline Eldonna Edwards

• Top 100 Poster!
    • Eldonna Edwards, Author/Speaker
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 03:10:54 PM »
I sent an "adoption letter" with my kidney so that the recipient would know it came fro a good home. :)

As a Licensed Massage Therapist, I would recommend lymphatic massage to boost your immune system and circulation. I would recommend supine position only until your incisions are healed, and no deep tissue work. Hand and Foot Reflexology are also a good bet.

I, too, resisted the hero worship but now I use it as an opportunity to promote living donation. I tell people that we all do what we can do, and this was something I could do. Then I remind them that they are doing/have done things I might not have been willing or able to do to help another. I also let them know that if they're interested in more info about donating, I'm happy to provide it. In other words, I deflect the praise back to them, while hopefully lighting a spark that may ignite interest in becoming a donor.

Good luck and Good on you!

~~ellie
Author of Lost in Transplantation: Memoir of an Unconventional Organ Donor

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional