| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Lab Results and Fatigue  (Read 4441 times)

mom2boysandgogo

Lab Results and Fatigue
« on: April 29, 2011, 04:24:24 PM »
I donated my kidney eight months ago and recently went in for lab work.  Our insurance has recently changed, so I was seen by a new doctor who is not familiar with kidney donation or my history (can you say large managed care health insurance!).  My lab results came back with creatine level of 1.3, GFR of 43, and protein in my urine.  The doctor reran the tests a few weeks later and the results were similar.  I am a 47 year old woman, who eats healthy, does not smoke or drink, and is of slim build.  Since my surgery 8 months ago my blood pressure has risen, but not alarming as it has always run super low.  My only complaint is that I have no energy since the surgery.  I keep waiting for my pre-surgery energy to return, as I have always been high energy... and this is making me crazy!  Anyone else experienced this extreme fatigue?  Should I be concerned about my lab results?  With the change in insurance I feel like I've fallen through the cracks with any follow up!  Thanks!!!  Dawn

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Lab Results and Fatigue
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 05:06:14 PM »
Whenever there is protein in the urine you should have that checked out. Since you are only 8 months out from the surgery the transplant center should be responsible to run those tests. They are required to follow your lab results 6 months, 1 year and 2 years out. I would suggest you fax those results to your transplant coordinator and asked to be seen by a nephrologist. Increased blood pressure, protein in the urine and decreased GFR are concerning so make sure to get it checked by the nephrologist. You may also want to get your results from when you donated so you can see what your pre donation labs were for comparison.

Keep us posted. I hope your center is available to you.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Lab Results and Fatigue
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 07:13:17 PM »
     Keep a close watch on things with your doctors. There is some debate about what "normal" results of some tests should be for a donor, as opposed to what is "normal" for a 2-kidney person.
     It has been reported that in some cases evn though the adreanal gland (near the kidney) is not removed in kidney transplant surgery, the flow of adrenal hormones from that gland to the blood supply can be interfered with. Some donors have had tests done as to whether adrenal gland insufficiency may be present, and may contribute to fatigue? If you doctor is not experienced with kidney donors, it might be worth mentioning this. Sometimes it is just presumed that since that adrenal gland was not removed ot touched it must be fine, without considereing the flow from that gland to the bloodstream.
     best wishes,
         Fr. Pat

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved