| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Rollercoaster.  (Read 6065 times)

Offline Prelude_Sarah

• Top 50 poster!
Rollercoaster.
« on: May 04, 2011, 07:00:50 PM »
Well, the last 24 hours have been absolutely crazy.  I woke up yesterday morning, preparing myself to fast and go in for surgery today.  I got a call from the hospital last night, saying they might have to postpone the operation because they suddenly have an organ on the way for someone else who desperately needs it right away. 

So, I was told to plan as though I will be having surgery, but to not come in unless I got a call.  There I lay in bed last night, unsure about whether or not my sister and I would be going in for surgery.  To add to the anxiety of it all, I had my family calling me all through the night to figure out what was going on.  Every time the phone rang it was like “oh my gosh is it happening now?!!”

I did not receive a call from the hospital until this afternoon.  They said the surgery would be tomorrow, Thursday May 5th.  So I spread the word to family and friends.  Then I got another call from the hospital, saying they have had THREE more organs come in for people that are in worse condition than my sister…so we will have to be “bumped” again.
After all is said and done, my sister’s operation and mine will not happen until Tuesday, May 10th.
It’s been a little nerve racking being “on call” like this so to speak, but after some reflection I realized that there is so much more to this whole story than anyone can see right now.

If four organs came into the hospital between yesterday and today, that means that four lives will be saved.  It also means that some lives were lost.  Although I’m anxious to have this operation over with and for my sister to be back in good health, my heart goes out to those families who are celebrating new life, and those who are facing their darkest hour imaginable.

Thank you all for the beautiful thoughts and prayers that were directed to my sister and I today, I’ll carry those with me to Tuesday, May 10th.
Much love to all of you!!!

Sarah
Donated left kidney to younger sister on May 10th, 2011

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Rollercoaster.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 07:32:10 PM »
Dear Sarah,
     Wow, that must be very hard to handle! I'm glad that amid your anxiety you are still able to see the larger picture and know that your very nerve-wracking delays also mean life and health for others. One of the big advantages of living donation is the ability to re-schedule for an optimal time (even if the re-scheduling is very upsetting). With the organs from deceased donors the hospital must put together operating staffs NOW and call in recipients in a hurry, even if the conditions are not ideal.
     At a gathering a few years ago a lady told her story of extreme ranges of emotions. Her little grandson urgently needed a heart transplant. Due to the size, it could only come from a deceased child of similar age. She said that during the days of waiting every time she heard an ambulance siren in the distance her heart would leap up with the thought "Maybe that means a heart will be available!" and then instantly collapse with the thought "That will only happen if another little child dies."
     Your sister is so blessed to be able to anxiously await a new surgery time, without the sadness of having someone die to provide it.
     Thanks so much for keeping us informed.
     Fr. Pat

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 07:58:18 PM »
Sarah,

Wow, I can't believe the roller coaster ride you guys have been on. I really do believe that everything happens for a reason so May 4th wasn't your time. To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven (Ecclesiastes 3:1) May your time be with good fortune and success.

Keep us posted .....whenever.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 12:13:10 AM »
Hi Sarah!

Wow! That IS quite the rollercoaster ride you and your sister have been on! I think your attitude towards all of this is fantastic. I also agree with Sherri in the fact that I too really do believe that everything happens for a reason, and May 4 was not meant to be your day for your kidney donation to your sister.

I know you have been so nervous about the surgery. I must say, the fact that even through all of this, you are still thinking of the other organ recipients and their families, as well as those who lost their lives and their families, really shows what a wonderful and caring person you are.

May 10 will be here before you know it. Please feel free to continue to post here as much as you like. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help - we are all here for you! I am keeping you, your sister and your family in my prayers. Please continue to keep us posted.

God Bless and hugs to you!!

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
What a roller coaster ride!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 12:57:40 AM »
But remember that HE is still the "God of the roller coaster" also.   And know that I am praying for you here in Chicago.
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

dlpisgiving

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 07:38:57 AM »
Oh gosh..Im sure this isn't helping your anxiety.  Hang in there and know somehow this will all work out how its supposed to.  I need to take my own advice...LOL

Phil..I'm in Chicago...did you donate/receive at NW?

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 12:47:17 PM »
My thoughts are with you and sorry you had to suffer additional anxiety. My gosh, what a busy day your center had!  Wishing you and your sister the best next Tuesday. Spring will be a beautiful time for renewal and recovery.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 02:23:57 AM »
Oh gosh..Im sure this isn't helping your anxiety.  Hang in there and know somehow this will all work out how its supposed to.  I need to take my own advice...LOL

Phil..I'm in Chicago...did you donate/receive at NW?

No, I became a living donor at the University of Alabama-Birmingham--one of the top kidney transplant centers in the country.   I have lived in Chicago since August 2000, but my recipient's procedures/program was set up at UAB...I'm also a native Alabamian....

I'd highly recommend UAB to anyone.
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved