| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Social worker  (Read 4532 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
Social worker
« on: May 06, 2011, 09:05:30 AM »
Hello. I've finally got a date to meet with the social worker, in preparation for a planned kidney donation to (somebody who was until recently) a stranger.  This is following a series of preliminary medical tests that began last July (I'm not done testing yet, either).  What kinds of things will the social worker probably ask? What sorts of questions should I raise at that meeting?  Is this something for which I should prepare, somehow? Thanks for your advice, in advance.
  Snoopy

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Social worker
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 02:37:02 PM »
Hey Snoopy!
The social worker will ask you things about how you came to decide to donate, what your line of work (if you have one) is like, find out about the support you have, any children, what you have set up for your aftercare, your financial situation.  I think I took a really long psych test too, but it was no big deal. In fact, it was the 2nd one I've taken- they do the same thing for surrogacy. 
It's a painless meeting, and I felt even more supported after I met with mine even though they aren't supposed to show favor one way or another. She'd said that she has a pretty cool job because she gets to meet so many kidney donors. :)

You're almost there!!!!!

Take care!
Nicki
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Social worker
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 05:44:25 PM »
Hi Snoopy,

The social worker will want to make sure you are not being pressured or guilted in to donating. They want to make sure that you understand the process and find out if you have any questions. Mine made sure I understood that I had access to a donor advocate as well. They also ask you why it is you chose to donate. I wasn't sure what to expect for this meeting, but I felt it went really well and I was happy to know that I had the extra support. They need to make sure they are taking just as good care of you as they are the recipient.

Best of luck to you. Let us know how it goes!

Linda
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 05:48:59 PM by Aries7 »
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional