| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Colonoscopy-prep (picosalax)  (Read 5364 times)

Diane80

Colonoscopy-prep (picosalax)
« on: May 13, 2011, 11:09:38 AM »
Good Morning. I donated to my brother 3 years ago. Everything has gone smoothly!

Im 30yrs old and in need of a repeat colonoscopy due to polyps.

I am worried about the prep. I was told to take 4 Ducolax tablets plus 4 litres of Klean Prep.
The gastro doctor recommended PicoSalax saying its much better to take but to consult with my kidney doctor if its ok to take. I have yet to hear from him so has anyone done a colon prep and taken PicoSalax????

Thanks so much

Diane

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Colonoscopy-prep (picosalax)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 11:37:52 AM »
Hi, Diane! Here is what I just read regarding it...

Systemic Effects:
Some absorption of the component ions of the saline cathartics does occur, and in certain instances they may produce systemic toxicity. This is especially true for magnesium salts, since 20% or more of the administered cation is absorbed. If renal function is normal, the absorbed magnesium is rapidly excreted. However, if a magnesium cation is given to an individual with impaired renal function, the accumulation of magnesium ion in the body fluids may be sufficient to cause magnesium intoxication.

In most instances, salts that gain access to the systemic circulation are rapidly excreted by the kidneys.

After reading that, I hate to say it, but I'd wait to talk to your dr to make sure it's all good. Maybe Dr. Bill will see this and know more. 

Good luck!!!!!
Nicki
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline Eldonna Edwards

• Top 100 Poster!
    • Eldonna Edwards, Author/Speaker
Re: Colonoscopy-prep (picosalax)
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 12:23:35 PM »
I used Smooth Move tea along with a 2-day juice fast and got a colonic the evening before my colonoscopy. Worked like a charm and my doc never knew i "cheated". Good luck!
Author of Lost in Transplantation: Memoir of an Unconventional Organ Donor

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional