| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: One Year Post Donation  (Read 6745 times)

Offline Big Bro

• Conversationalist
One Year Post Donation
« on: February 14, 2011, 03:06:20 PM »
Hello again to all. I haven't posted in a while. Just wanted to toss out there in LDO land that all is well for myself and my sister. To recap, I donated a kidney to my younger sister Feb 12th, 2010. We are both doing excellent. I went back to work 2 weeks after donation, (road construction, but off season). Feel fine to date, workout and run 3-5 times a week, trying to eat right. Overall my life has not changed, her life however did change very much. She's back to work, off dialysis, able to do things that her failing kidneys weren't allowing. All I asked of her was that she take care of herself and get everyday she can from my used part.
A year ago the time leading up to the donation was very scary, I am a real hospital hater. A year ago today I was in some pain, but it was well worth the gain. I know from reading posts on here that not everyone has the same luck and everyone's recovery and how things turn out is different. God watched over us is all I can say.
My only thought on the pre-donation time was that they really don't tell you alot, I don't know if they really can't because it affects every donor differently or what. My only fear now, after donation is that something happens to me and my family has to deal with the situation of me donating. This is my driving force to stay healthy so nothing happens to me.
I want to thank all the donors willing to put their experiences, good and bad on here for everyone to read and learn from. I want to thank my pastor for his help, my wife and sons for their understanding and help, my family for their support, and God for watching over my sister and I.

Neal
Donated 2-12-10

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Re: One Year Post Donation
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 03:40:01 PM »
Neal,

Happy anniversary! And thanks for checking in and sharing your experience. I hope you'll stay involved and give us regular updates since we, as donors, are learning we need to be just as aware of what happens after donating (even years later) as we do during donation.
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 04:25:15 PM »
Happy anniversary, and it is good to know you are both doing well, Neal! I know what you mean - the first anniversary seems to bring out a need to be both philosophical and introspective about the whole journey. I think maybe it's because everything before that is such a whirlwind, that by the time a year rolls around you finally have time to think and absorb everything that has happened.
Keep us posted on your progress. Make sure you keep up on your annual physicals and blood work to take care of yourself.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 03:37:13 PM »
Happy anniversary to you!!!!!  Thank you for sharing your update!
I'm so happy to hear that you both are doing well!
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 06:48:53 PM »
Happy Anniversary to you and your sister Neal!
I agree with you - I also appreciate all of the donors who are so willing to share their stories and experiences with everyone for all of us to learn from. Thank you for your update - I am so happy to hear that you and your sister are both doing so well!

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved