| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Donation Is Like...?  (Read 10143 times)

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Donation Is Like...?
« on: February 14, 2011, 03:34:33 PM »
I walk for exercise, and I usually take my iPod to listen to podcasts. Yesterday, I listened to an "On Being" podcast featuring Frances Kissling, former president of Catholics for Choice. While the subject of the conversation was learning how to engage others with whom you (and they) have a deep disagreement, the subject of organ donation came up at the end. For me, it's a fascinating way to characterize organ donation, keeping in mind she is Catholic and a former nun. Here's a snippet of the transcript:

Ms. Kissling: Yes, yes. And the concept of donation — the concept, I mean, it really extended my consciousness around the whole idea of the gift of life, and I have written a little bit about the relationship between someone giving a part of their body to me. You know, it's like — oh, this is so terrible. It's sort of like communion, OK? [emphasis added] That a part of someone else's body is going to be in me for the rest of my life, and a foreign part that I am going to have to work through drugs for my body not to reject it. These are very interesting philosophical reflections that I've made.

To read or listen: http://being.publicradio.org/programs/2011/listening-beyond/

Just wanted to share this.
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved