| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: "No psychiatric illness under treatment"- barrier to living liver donation  (Read 7625 times)

Diane Adams

I am evaluating the potential to be a living liver donor for my sister who is in liver failure.  I am feeling good about all the qualifications except for "No psychiatric illness under treatment."  What does that mean exactly?  I take generic prozac for about 8 years for "anxiety."  I am perfectly fine.  I am not under the care of a psychiatrist, but my family doctor who hasnt even recommended counseling.  Will I still qualify as a donor?

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Re: "No psychiatric illness under treatment"- barrier to living liver donation
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 04:56:46 PM »
Diane,

It's hard to say because each transplant center has its own policies. For what it's worth, I know of several living kidney donors who were taking medications for different types of mental health issues (anxiety, OCD, ADHD, etc.), and it didn't stop them from being donors.
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 07:49:16 PM »
      "Psychiatric Illness" can mean something so serious that the potential donor does not really understand what he/she is doing. For example:
"The little green men from the space ship told me to donate a kidney" or "my left kidney is possessed by a demon, so must be removed". Or it could be a condition that makes it difficult for the patient to make a free and well-informed decision, for example a person struggling with many mental or personal problems who unrealistically thinks "if I donate a kidney it wil be such a nice thing that it will make all my problems go away and make everyone love me."
     Persons under treatment/medication for depression also should know that some donors suffer post-op depression, even if the donation is a success. So they have to consider their ability to handle an extra dose of depression if it should hapen.
     And of course the hospital must be aware of ALL medications the potential donor is taking, to avoid bad inter-actions with the anesthesia, pain-killers, etc. that will accompany the surgery.
     So, just be completely honest with the transplant coordinator. They are not automatically ruling out everyone under some psychiatric treatment/medication. They just have to be sure that the potential donor understands and freely accepts what she/he is doing, and shows sufficient signs of being able to handle the psychological pressures that donation can sometimes involve.
   best wishes,
     fr. Pat

Offline livingdonor101

• Top 50 poster!
    • Living Donor 101
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 03:53:52 PM »
I suggest reviewing the A2ALL (adult-to-adult-living-liver) data on psychological reprecussions.

You can find summaries and references to the full studies here: http://www.livingdonor101.com/living_liver_donors.shtml
www.livingdonor101.com - Where Living Donors Matter Most.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional