| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: We made it  (Read 6418 times)

Offline upnover

• Top 100 Poster!
We made it
« on: June 09, 2011, 10:39:31 PM »
Hi All,

Tuesday morning June 7 changed my life and that of my recipient. We both made it through surgey with flying colors. I felt wonderfull that night. The next day hit me like a ton of bricks. I thought I had been hit by a truck and survived, just barely. The recipient looks remarkable and feels great. I had a laproscopy procedure but it was still tough. I managed the pain with regular tylenol. I left the hospital early as they wanted to throw me on stretcher for the night to make extra room. Recovery in hospital is for the birds anyway. With all the beeping, talking, groans and coughs I said let me go. It's much better at home anyway. This is just a short note to all on the Forum who have offered support and kind words. It has been a real emotional time as well. I can only thank my Saviour for carrying me through this time.

PS: I'll post some pics when I can get them resized

Offline Prelude_Sarah

• Top 50 poster!
Re: We made it
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 02:39:38 AM »
Congratulations!!!  I'm so happy to hear that you and your recipient pulled through so well!  I remember it like it was yesterday (it was only 4 weeks ago lol).  It is a good feeling to have it behind you, to know that it all worked out.  Relish in those feelings, you did a great thing.  Please keep us updated!!

Sarah
Donated left kidney to younger sister on May 10th, 2011

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 08:20:25 AM »
It's wonderful to be home, isn't it? Congratulations!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline shelley

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 09:50:33 AM »
Well done, upnover!!  Gosh, you're really amazing me with how fast you left the hospital and the fact that you just took Tylenol???  I don't know if I could be that brave, especially feeling like I was "hit by a truck and survived, just barely"!

Offline fbalzofiore

• Conversationalist
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
Yes, amazing, feeling that good so quickly. How wonderful a feeling to have given new life to someone !

Offline llinton98

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
Congratulations to you both. Get some good rest - you deserve it!

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
I'm truly sorry you were treated so poorly
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 07:04:04 PM »
by your transplant hospital.

My experience was 180 degrees the opposite.  The hospital could NOT have been nicer, or more accomodating to me.  I will forever sing the praises of the University of Alabama-Birmingham Hospital....

Praying for your recovery.  You have been through major surgery, so please take it easy for a while.

Blessings.

Phil Hoover
Chicago
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 08:56:38 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS to you both.  You'll feel progressively better each day.  I too was able to leave early - I actually was standing within about an hour after returning to my room from recovery and I wanted to walk (I stood nearly a minute and nearly vomited and decided maybe it was the medication talking  ;D).   Anyway, I hope you're both doing well - what a fabulous love Christ shares with and through us all - you're truly blessed and SO is your recipient.   Let yourself process the emotions - we've all been there and I think it's natural to wonder how you can feel so many different emotions all at once.  Tell yourself YOU ARE SOMEONE's SPECIAL HERO.   Thank you Lord for being so AWESOME.   

Our love friend.  get some much deserved rest!  Keep us posted when you can. 

Scott 8)
Scott

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 03:23:00 AM »
     Since hospitals are full of sick people, they are also full of nasty germs, especially those which have built up resistance to all the antibiotics. Unless you NEED treatment or observation, going home fast reduces the danger of picking up a bad infection. Take good care of yourself! You've got a great excuse now  to eat all the ice cream, pizza or whatever you like "to build up your strength". Enjoy!
   Fr. Pat

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
Please take care of yourself...
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 03:28:18 PM »
Those stool softeners are your VERY BEST FRIEND...and I'd encourage you to use them as much as possible. No, they are not addictive or habit-forming...

No lifting over the 5-10 lbs restriction...and this is for your OWN good...there are plenty of people around who can assist you, and you just have to ask them...

Keep us informed...

Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved