| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: What I most feared....no big deal  (Read 7129 times)

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
What I most feared....no big deal
« on: June 12, 2011, 11:11:39 PM »
was the foley catheter....and it turned out to be no big deal for me...

When the male nurse took it out, I hardly even knew that anything was happening, because the nurse was THAT GOOD and THAT gentle with me...

No side effects...

Man, I guess the LORD was really good to me, wasn't He?
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
Re: What I most feared....no big deal
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 11:14:31 PM »
One word.....OOOOOOOOWWWWWWW!
 >:(
Scott

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 08:07:07 AM »
My husband had a big L of an incision, tubes and IVs everywhere, and the only thing he complained about was that catheter! In fact, the first time I was able to walk down to his room (after they had taken out my catheter) the catheter removal story was the first thing out of his mouth! He told anybody and everybody that would listen about that catheter! The nurses finally, jokingly, told him if he didn't shut up about the catheter they were going to put it in a shadowbox and send it home with him as a souvenir!  But be glad - as the recepient, about 6 weeks later, my husband had to have the stent removed which made the catheter removal look like nothing.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline upnover

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 08:17:39 AM »
As I said in a previous post the catheter drove me crazy. The nurse said that it is worse for guys than women. That thing would invarioubly get hooked on something and then ooooohhhhhhh. I should not say more to turn away any potential donors. However, the one benefit is you dont have to get out of bed to go P. After the catheter came out the nurse gave me one of those angled P bottles and then I could still lay in bed and be happy. I even took it home from the hospital and use it at night here at home so I dont have to get up. What is driving me crazy now is nights.

I cant seem to get about an hour of sleep without having to P. I have tried sleeping in bed and have resorted back to my Stessless relcliner chair. During the day I have normal bladder functions. It's just at night. I am thinking the fact that I am not in a deep enough sleep is what is doing it. Any others have this issue? 

Offline smudge

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 03:14:36 PM »
It has to be worse for guys.  Either that or you are all making a big fuss!!!

My catheter was in from surgery until the following morning and didn't need to get out of bed in that time so didn't have the chair leg problem that recipients (and some donors by the sound of it) have to experience.

Removal was straightforward and painless :)

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 06:17:42 PM »
I never felt it--the DRUGS were THAT good---and had no residual effects afterwards....The male nurse had taken it out before I ever knew what was happening.....

Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 02:47:20 PM »
As I said in a previous post the catheter drove me crazy. The nurse said that it is worse for guys than women. That thing would invarioubly get hooked on something and then ooooohhhhhhh.

Right on. Based on a previous hospitalization, let me mention not to let anybody step on the tube leading out of the catheter, especially when you're in motion.  Enough said....
   I will also say that, during that previous, very heavy-duty hospitalization, my one big fear was having that catheter removed. Fortunately, it went fine.  Hoping everybody else has the same experience!
   Snoopy

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 07:04:30 AM »
Snoopy, your post made me laugh....not good as I'm only a week and a half post donation and it hurts!   ;D  Thankfully nobody stepped on the line to my catheter, with me in motion or not.  I was afraid of the catheter and its removal like many others.  But I hit the morphine pump and before I knew it, the catheter was out.  It was really no big deal for me.  The bigger issue for me was when it wouldn't drain properly and I felt like I had to use the bathroom.  I hated calling the nurse in to have them rearrange the tubing so it would drain properly and give me relief.

I had a drain in my main incision, and the removal of that was far worse than the catheter for me.  That drain was so long I think it ran across my abdomen a couple times!!  I was out of town for surgery, and because the incision was still draining too much I had to travel home with it.  Went to my PCP and she was able to remove it a few days later.  I wish I'd had the morphine pump for that!!
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 05:51:23 PM »
I have debated sharing my catheter story, but will do so in hopes to educate others and get a few laughs.

My husband had a folly after having a hanging bladder stone removed.  He was experiencing bladder spasms and in significant discomfort.  His nurse actually told me to rub the top of his penis to make the folly feel better.  For the record, I declined.

It might actually work.
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline pilotjjc3

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 07:27:23 PM »
I have debated sharing my catheter story, but will do so in hopes to educate others and get a few laughs.

My husband had a folly after having a hanging bladder stone removed.  He was experiencing bladder spasms and in significant discomfort.  His nurse actually told me to rub the top of his penis to make the folly feel better.  For the record, I declined.

It might actually work.

That is pretty funny.  Was the nurse a man or a woman?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 07:39:27 PM by pilotjjc3 »

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 10:08:18 PM »
That is hilarious and is something your husband will probably always remind you of!   ;)
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 10:58:14 PM »
good luck to everyone.

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 09:15:52 AM »
It was an older, bigger woman nurse. I am not sure I would still have my hand if I had taken her advice.   

I would like to notE that his discomfort was related to the procedure and the fact he didnt produce urine at the time. 
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional