| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Why Am I Still Tired?  (Read 4572 times)

Offline Mizchelle

• Top 50 poster!
Why Am I Still Tired?
« on: June 06, 2013, 09:52:48 AM »
I know fatigue after donation is brought up occasionally, but just when do you rethink if the fatigue is a long-term recovery effect or possibly an adrenal issue or something else? I'm post 90 days and I haven't worried too much about it because prior I had a lot of "nervous energy" and anxiety.

Now, I'm much calmer (nice) but I can't seem to get enough rest to feel energized.  I'm canceling a lot of things at the last minute, feel like I'm physically tired most of the time and the times that I'm not are short-lived. I crash as if I have had too much caffeine and sugar - which by the way have always avoided, but now feel like I may need to start to get me through the evening.

I have never yawned so much in my life!  :o

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: Why Am I Still Tired?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 10:18:11 AM »
Dear Mizchelle,

Everybody has their own experience, and you needn't worry unduly if you're still not as energetic as you were before surgery. 90 days isn't really all that much time.  While I was back at work half time in two weeks, and full time in four, I didn't really feel fully recovered for more than six months. New Year's, nearly eight months out, was when I recognized deeply that I was all the way back.  Even so, I still get twinges from the fascia scarring when I'm working out, and it's been ten years. Keep up the self evaluation, and be thoughtful if something truly seems to be wrong or worsening instead of improving, even if that improvement is slow.  Take care. Best wishes.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 11:26:04 PM »
Like Clark said, 90 days is not that long.   I would not worry that you are still fatigued.   It took me a considerable time, at least six months, to not drag...probably a year before I felt really normal.   But at two months it was good enough....just had to remember to pace myself.
Oldnslow

"Donated kidney to my brother on Dec 8, 2008"

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 01:10:12 AM »
Not surprising.  It takes time.  My RN wife asks if you are walking.  Yawning may indicate the need for some activity.  All the best. 

Offline Mizchelle

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 10:46:03 AM »
Yes, I do walk and keep active, but I tucker out fast.

I have gotten feedback from many donors that it takes a few months to get back to your routine energy, so I feel a little less concerned at this point. 

I'm going to just "Be" and take it easy, doing things in moderation until I'm back to speed.

Thanks.

Offline pilotjjc3

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 11:15:15 PM »
Like the previous post say, give it at least six months.  Even after that, If I cut the grass or did any other hard physical labor, I would wear out quicker and needed a longer recovery time.  By one year or sooner, you will be 100%  :D

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 09:47:02 PM »
Yup, six months, that seems to be the window for most.
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional