| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: CMV Infection in the Donor and Increased Kidney Graft Loss: Impact of Full HLA-I  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ajt.12298/abstract

CMV Infection in the Donor and Increased Kidney Graft Loss: Impact of Full HLA-I Mismatch and Posttransplantation CD8+ Cell Reduction
P. Gatault1,2,3,*, J-M. Halimi1,2, C. Forconi1, G. Thibault3,4, C. Barbet2, E. Mérieau2, C. Gaudy-Graffin5,6, J-F. Marlière2, A. Goudeau5,6, F. Bruyère7, Y. Lebranchu1,2, M. Büchler1,2, C. Baron1,2
DOI: 10.1111/ajt.12298
American Journal of Transplantation
Early View (Online Version of Record published before inclusion in an issue)

Abstract

Despite a large body of literature, the impact of chronic cytomegalovirus (CMV) infection in donor on long-term graft survival remains unclear, and factors modulating the effect of CMV infection on graft survival are presently unknown. In this retrospective study of 1279 kidney transplant patients, we analyzed long-term graft survival and evolution of CD8+ cell population in donors and recipients by CMV serology and antigenemia status. A positive CMV serology in the donor was an independent risk factor for graft loss, especially among CMV-positive recipients (R+). Antigenemia was not a risk factor for graft loss and kidneys from CMV-positive donors remained associated with poor graft survival among antigenemia-free recipients. Detrimental impact of donor's CMV seropositivity on graft survival was restricted to patients with full HLA-I mismatch, suggesting a role of CD8+ cells. In R+ patients with positive CMV antigenemia during the first year, CD8+ cell count did not increase at 2 years posttransplantation, in contrast to R− recipients. In addition, marked CD8+-cell decrease was a risk factor of graft failure in these patients. This study identifies HLA-I full mismatch and a decrease of CD8+ cell count at 2 years as important determinants of CMV-associated graft loss.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional