| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: New perspective...  (Read 3283 times)

Offline koczacik

• My first post!
New perspective...
« on: June 10, 2013, 09:08:25 PM »
Hi, my name is CJ and I'm new to all of this. I recently found out I may have Kidney complications of some sort; protien and sugar in the urine but not in the blood. The doc said he isn't sure the extent, but 'doesn't want to raise any flags' about kidney disease, disorder or cancer (gee thanks).

I'm 32, physically active in martial arts, summer sports and running, non-smoker and only a casual drinker these days and have always been in great shape health wise.
That being said, I have never had that big of a sense of value on my own life. So now, this potential issue creeps up and it puts things into a whole new perspective. I may have nothing to show or say for my life, and I may not have much value on myself, but perhaps I can give somebody else something to live for by donating whatever I can.

I am somewhat scared about it because I'm not a fan of medical anything, especially getting cut up and stuck with needles, but I think this is something I have to do now. Problem is, I can't give to just anybody, there are just too many bad people out there. I would want to give what I can to maybe a child, or a young person with something to offer. I don't think I could just blindly donate, but I would love to help a promising young person, or a single mom with no options.

Started up tests to see what shape my Kidneys are in today, so I have no medical lingo to spread. All I can say thus far, is I have B+ blood type.

Any advice, info or general comments here? Not really sure what my friends are going to think of this, but upon reading I can see it's not all great.

My email is c.koczacik@hotmail.com
Thanks!!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: New perspective...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 01:54:08 AM »
Dear CJ,
     Congratulations on your thinking of possibly being a living donor.
     Of course it will depend on what your current tests show. In order to donate a kidney one has to have two kidneys in good shape and no signs of danger of kidney disease. The donated kidney has to be able to handle a full load in the recipient, and the remaining kidney has to be able to do the work of two in the donor. So, take it a step at a time.
     Meanwhile, of course, donating blood or blood platelets regularly is a great thing to do. And the National Kidney Foundation (www.kidney.org) has opportunities for volunteers to help sufferers from kidney failure in other ways.
     By the way, as a "B+" you would be compatible to donate to another "B+", or to a "B-", or to an "AB+" or to an "AB-" . That only adds up to about 15% of the U.S. population.
     So keep on getting well informed about living donation (including its risks).
         best wishes,
           Fr. Pat (donor '02)

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved