| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Weight and the never ending battle  (Read 3458 times)

Offline leah.faith

• Top 100 Poster!
Weight and the never ending battle
« on: October 05, 2013, 10:16:56 AM »
So, I'm like 9 months post op. I have 0 complaints at this point (except my recipient started smoking again which makes me mad as f-ing hell)
My health has returned mostly to normal and besides getting "super hungover" instead of "regular hungover" when I drink to much, I have no lasting side effects from the donation. (I actually went on a hiking trip to Rockies last month were I hiked over 50 miles and summited my first 14,000+feet high mountain, not that I'm bragging).

My big burning question to all of you is why the hell can't a loose any weight? I lost, like, 10 lbs, after the surgery which I promptly gained back again, but now that I'm trying to loose 5 lbs through diet and exercise, I am finding that it can't be done.

Mind you, this isn't my first rodeo and by my calculation I should be loosing weight and it should be coming off quickly. And this is the second or third time since June that I've tried to loose weight and it has all been for naught. I've never ever had problems loosing weight (or gaining it back!) before, and now it seems like I'm just on a proverbial treadmill - working so hard, yet getting nowhere.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there anyway I can fix this? Am I maybe just retaining a lot of water.....
And again, I want to stress, I feel perfectly fine. I don't feel like I'm having adrenal or thyroid issues. Could it be something else. Is the kidney tied to metabolism is some other way?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 10:18:30 AM by leah.faith »

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: Weight and the never ending battle
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
Dear Leah,

Best wishes! I had excellent suggestions and support from the nutritionist affiliated with my primary care physician. Try to get a referral. The winning functional suggestions:
1) Attitude: Recognize that mild hunger, not sated fullness, is our "natural" state, the circumstances our bodies evolved for.
2) Keep a food and exercise journal: You don't have to show it to anyone, but the mere act of logging what you actually eat, how your feel about it, and what you're doing for exercise has been demonstrated to dramatically improve the odds that you'll achieve your goal.
3) Eat smaller portions of whole foods, with a mix of protein, fat, and carbohydrates, in that order, on average. Exceptions are ok, as long as they're exceptions. Use smaller plates. Don't snack. Eat mostly protein and fat for breakfast, your biggest meal at lunch, and a salad for dinner. (This is hard as a vegetarian, but I manage.)
4) Do weight bearing resistance exercise more than cardio. Do it every day, for whatever length of time your can manage. If you find yourself consistently doing pushups at midnight to meet this, consider switching your schedule around to do it first thing in the morning. It improves the day immeasurably to have it done and out of the way.
5) Choose your goals wisely: A single weight goal is not a good target in and of itself. BMI is little better. Fitness goals, like a number of pushups, a distance run, a threshhold in yoga, a waist-hip ratio, these are more meaningful in a physical cause-effect correlation to metabolic diseases.
6) Forgive yourself as often as you condemn yourself. Start again, clean slate, from your new beginning. It's ok. Really.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Weight and the never ending battle
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 10:59:39 AM »
Leah,

I had a tough time trying to lose weight as well.   For me, part of it was just that I was easily fatigued and couldn't get traction on the weight loss.  It sounds like you're past any fatigue problems.   When I finally started to have success it was when I started logging my calorie intake and setting daily goals.   Honestly, I found I was 1) eating more than I thought, 2) needed to eat far less than I was, and 3) had to increase the exercise.     That was tough on all fronts.   I had to really start to eat different, ignore all the wrong foods around me, and try to stay disciplined when I travel on business.  Now, I'm exercising 5 times a week at either the gym with cardio or weightsor at the dojo.   I shoot for 1200 calories a day (would starve a rabbit).   If I don't hit my goal on a given day, I am still eating a lot less than I would have.   I am also eating a lot more vegetables and fruit.   

So far, I am down about 20 lbs this year and about 35 lbs overall.

Probably helps as well to have an active partner in the exercise to push you when you don't feel like it.

Hang in there, set goals, measure success, and good luck!
Oldnslow

"Donated kidney to my brother on Dec 8, 2008"

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional