| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Angio CT scan  (Read 5259 times)

Offline shines57

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Angio CT scan
« on: October 15, 2013, 01:11:30 PM »
Hi - brand new to the boards here. I"m going to be a kidney donor for my uncle (not blood relative) and am scheduled for the angiogram CT scan on Nov 20th in St Louis. I live in CO.  I plan to fly in the day before and fly home the day after - and then to complicate matters, leave that evening for FL to catch a cruise on the Saturday.  I'm reading a book where a lady who had the procedure (in the UK) said she couldn't stand or sit for the day after and even a couple days later was quite ill.

My question is this - is this true that you can't sit/stand for a day afterwards and did anyone else feel ill days after the procedure? Should I reschedule and move this up a bit as to give some time between procedure and Thanksgiving cruise??

thanks - shines57

Offline kdub

• Top 50 poster!
Re: Angio CT scan
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 02:40:25 PM »
Hi Shine57,

I felt nothing like that after my CT scan.  I felt totally fine.  Sitting was not an issue.  Good luck with your donation!

_kdub

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 06:14:47 PM »
Our donation was in St. Louis at Barnes. If that is where you are going you should be well treated.

To me, that was one of the easiest of the tests! No problems after. The only advice they gave was to drink a lot of water afterward to help flush the dye out of my system. The scanner was one of the open, donut type and I didn't feel a thing.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 04:01:22 AM »
Dear "Shines",
     Hi. I am not a medical professional, but I notice that you say you will get an "ANGIOGRAM CT scan". I, and I think most of the donors here, got a CT scan of the kidneys that involved just injecting some dye, and we were up and around right away. If I understand it right an "ANGIOGRAM CT scan"  may involve inserting a catheter into the blood vessel, and that may require more healing at the insertion point. Perhaps someone here can offer information on this.
     I suggest that you play it safe and ask the  St. Louis hospital to send you more detailed information and instructions on what exactly they are going to do, and if discomfort can be expected afterwards. I THINK that what you are describing is a more invasive scan procedure that most of us received. Check it out.
   Fr. Pat   

Offline Mooge

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 04:14:20 AM »
Hi Shines,

Had my test last week, it was also called a "CT Angiogram".
I had no problems at all and was up an around after the 20 minutes they made me sit there to make sure I was ok.
Fr. Pat's advice of checking with the hospital is good, but unless it's a very different procedure or you have a  bad reaction, you should be just fine.

Mooge

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 06:30:01 AM »
CT angiogram is the test which most of us had where dye is injected using an IV and images are taken while going through a CT machine. Some patients remark that they feel warm as if they are "peeing" (but you're not). There shouldn't be too many side effects unless you have an allergic reaction to the dye.

The other type of angiogram is called a DSA (digital subtracted angiogram ) and this is the test that most of you are familiar with when someone is being evaluated for blockages in their heart and they thread a catheter up the groin to inject the dye. If there is a blockage sometimes a stent can be placed at the same time. Because this one is invasive there is a small risk of hematoma or damage to the artery where the catheter is inserted. Patients are instructed not to lift and take it easy for a few days.

Perhaps this donor had the DSA angiogram and not the CT angiogram. I believe this test was used many years ago and then as CT angio was developed it replaced the more invasive method. In any case, a clear lesson to all donors to be informed and understand all the tests they are undergoing during the process.Always ask for the test to be explained prior to signing consent.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline shines57

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 12:46:34 PM »
Thanks everyone for responding...what a great way to get information!

Yes, I am donating at Barnes Jewish in STL - very happy to know it's a good place and you're well treated!

Looking at the schedule for my day, the test I"m having is called "CTA/CTU (abdomen/pelvis CT scan with angiogram and urogram) as well as a Iothalimate Scan (GFR).

Considering they are having me meet with Physician and SW right after, I have to assume that I should be A-ok to travel home and go on a cruise 2 days later!

Thanks again!!!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional