| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Its really happening!  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Amberwoo

• Top 100 Poster!
    • My Kidney Blog
Its really happening!
« on: February 04, 2014, 07:30:08 AM »
So I received a call yesterday where my Coordinator gave me an update on all the testing I did about a week and a half ago.  She said everything looked good, but she was still waiting to hear from the cardiologist about my EKG, and I would need an additional blood test because my mom has lupus.  She was not worried about anything coming  back unusual with the EKG and wanted to talk Dates!  I said I wasn't concerned about dates and it looks like it will be sometime early to mid march.  They were going to contact my recipient to see what was best for him and I think he wants the first week in march.  He should be calling them today to confirm.

I'm excited, and anxious, and worried all at the same time!  I know this is what I am supposed to do and what I want to do but never having had surgery before having a date set makes me nervous.  Plus I know I don't have enough time saved up at work (really almost no time due to being grant funded and not getting  a lot of days off to begin with) but I am trying to stay  calm and know that everything will work out.

Donated Kidney on 05/22/2014
My Experience- http://kidneydonorthoughts.blogspot.com/

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: Its really happening!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 08:53:54 AM »
Best wishes!
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline MaryDB

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 12:54:37 PM »
That's great Amber.  May I ask,  how long did it take between first contacting the transplant center and the go ahead?

Offline Amberwoo

• Top 100 Poster!
    • My Kidney Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 01:58:19 PM »
I contacted them a little  bit before Christmas, and I just found out that the date is going to be the 6 or the 7th of March depending if they decide to take out my recipients kidneys (which they will decide after his CT scan on Feb. 10).  So not even a full 3 months, they were pretty quick. 

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 09:20:22 AM »
Dear Amber,

I wish a successful surgery and many years of health for you and your recipient!

Read prior posts here about preparing for surgery.  You've got some time to prepare.  It's a good time to pay all your bills, clean the house etc. to get ready for a couple weeks off!

Love, elephant

Offline Amberwoo

• Top 100 Poster!
    • My Kidney Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 11:24:54 AM »
This was postponed but it has been rescheduled for May 15th (just found out!). This gives me a bunch of time to get ready and save up the last little bit of time off at work that I will need for the recovery period.  I'm just hoping there are no more surprises that postpone it between now and then.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional