| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Date pushed back 2-3 months  (Read 5125 times)

Offline Amberwoo

• Top 100 Poster!
    • My Kidney Blog
Date pushed back 2-3 months
« on: February 26, 2014, 10:16:18 AM »
Feeling kind of sad, we just found out that the surgery that was scheduled for the 7th has to be pushed back 2-3 months.  They decided they want to remove my recipients kidneys before they put in mine.  They said they do sometimes do this at the same time but due to tumors on his kidneys that they could not see very well using the MRI and CT angiogram they do not feel comfortable doing it on the same day.  This means he is having the kidneys removed on the 7th then they are waiting for him to heal to do the transplant.  He is bummed because he is not a fan of having to be cut open twice and being on Dialysis longer.

But I know this is probably for the best and we will just have to wait some more, whats 2 more months anyway?
Donated Kidney on 05/22/2014
My Experience- http://kidneydonorthoughts.blogspot.com/

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: Date pushed back 2-3 months
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 07:52:11 PM »
Best wishes to you both!
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 07:45:02 AM »
Dear Amber,

Let us know how the nephrectomy on your recipient goes. 

Love, elephant

Offline Stpfan44

• Top 100 Poster!
  • headache drumroll
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 05:50:30 PM »
Send my blessing for you both. :)
\44/
/44\

Offline audrey12

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 06:51:50 PM »
I was pushed back eight months and for the first few we weren't sure it was a go.  But it happened.  You'll be OK.  All the best!
audrey

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 11:22:38 AM »
When my husband had his transplant, they did both the nephrectomy and the transplant at once (he had enormous kidneys from Polycystic Kidney Disease).  He came out fine.

His nephrologist had to fight for it, though-they didn't want to take his kidneys out at all, which is crazy-they each weighed 12 lbs and he would have been continually dealing with burst cysts.

Offline Amberwoo

• Top 100 Poster!
    • My Kidney Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 07:20:31 AM »
CK we would have loved for them to do it all at the same time (get everyone healed up as soon  as possible).  But the surgeon told My recipient yesterday that they want a full pathology of his kidneys before doing his transplant and he has too many tumors to do it quickly and put the new one it at the same time.  hopefully he will heal up quick and we can proceed with the transplant soon.

Offline Amberwoo

• Top 100 Poster!
    • My Kidney Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 07:50:58 AM »
Dave's Bilateral Nephrectomy went well.  His kidneys were apparently huge (not sure exactly how big yet but they are supposed to send us a picture at some point).  He is still in the hospital sore which is to be expected.  Now all he has to do is heal up so we can do the transplant which will probably be a ton easier for him then this.

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 11:34:05 AM »
Amberwoo,

Thanks for the update. 
Hope his recovery goes well!

Love, elephant

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved