| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Annual Blood Values Remain Normal 12 years out!  (Read 5667 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Annual Blood Values Remain Normal 12 years out!
« on: April 24, 2014, 07:31:56 AM »
It's annual physical time for me, and it's always a joy to see that steady 1.0 serum creatinine level. As well, I've stabilized the triglycerides and cholesterol numbers that were creeping up with my weight until three years ago. I haven't stayed down at 50 pounds below that peak weight, and fat of three years ago, but I've stayed steady at between 35 and 40 pounds below peak, and far more muscular than I've been since I rowed crew as an undergrad nearly 40 years ago. I haven't remained slavishly strict to the philosophy that I should leave each meal still hungry, but I've succeeded in keeping calories in balanced with calories burned in exercise. My BP is down below the prehypertensive threshold. All in all, I've found a new normal that's in a better place, both by internal perception and in the range of worry free values for a variety of blood tests. Hurrah! How are you all doing?
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
Re: Annual Blood Values Remain Normal 12 years out!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 09:36:27 AM »
How blessed you are.  I am almost two years out.  My weight and BP is good.  My age doesn't seem to want to stay put though, now 62.  I am glad your creatinine is so good.  The last time mine was 1.0 was pre-donation.  It has remained at 1.6 since.  My nephrologist thinks that maybe my better kidney was donated.  I know my recipient is at 1.0.  He said this kidney should take me to about age 90.  So we take care of what we have.  I write this not to discourage anyone, just to give some balance.     

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 07:44:51 AM »
My creatinine has never been 1.0 since surgery either, and my recipient is at 0.9.
Like Pastor Jeff, I guess the better kidney was donated.  And my age also keeps creeping up every time I check!

I know daily exercise maintains my weight and blood pressure in the normal range.  For sure it made me a good donor, and now I do it to protect myself.  Oh, and for fun too!

Love, elephant

Offline Stpfan44

• Top 100 Poster!
  • headache drumroll
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 04:30:36 AM »
~Sending Love from AK <3 Take care
\44/
/44\

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 01:15:51 PM »
Congrats! Hope I can say the same thing in 10 years.  My creatinine was .9 at my last blood draw.

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 09:17:07 PM »
Congrats! Those numbers look great!! I'm looking forward to seeing my bloodwork when I go for my annual later this summer. I feel fine, but need to get in the habit of exercising. I know it would help alleviate stress as well as help with getting fit. Does anyone notice their lower tummy getting flabby as a result of a bikini line incision? I know my age keeps creeping up too, but I'm wondering if the tummy is more due to surgery and cutting through muscle....just curious as to whether anyone else has noticed this.
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline poodles

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 02:12:10 PM »
Hi Jstx, I have the same thing. How long was your bikini incision? Mine is 10 1/2 inches, measured it one day when people here were discussing the size of their incisions to make sure it was really as long as I thought.

Prior to the donation my surgeon said he would not cut my muscles but separate the three layers of the stomach muscles then stitch the two layers that ran in the same direction together and the third layer separately. However surgeons have to make judgements calls during the surgery that can change their ideal game plan.

I do all sorts of exercise and basically its ok but nowhere near the same.

More than five years ago before I donated there was a discussion about this and all the ladies who responded said they no longer had flat stomachs. However working your stomach muscles is part of staying healthy so keep at it.

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 07:33:38 PM »
My bikini incision is 3-4 inches long. How in the world is yours 10.5"? Yikes!! That's a crazy big incision. What exercises do you find work well for you? I'm 3 years out from donation & I continue to have pain when I work my abs. Not sure if it is normal or if I possibly have a surgical adhesion. Wonder how many folks have pain when they exercise their abs...needless to say I'm out of shape! Trying to get into the habit of exercising regularly.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 07:57:36 AM by Clark »
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional