| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: delays  (Read 7549 times)

Offline Amberwoo

• Top 100 Poster!
    • My Kidney Blog
delays
« on: May 15, 2014, 07:30:03 AM »
Today was supposed to be surgery day, I had everything ready, work gave me a great send off breakfast yesterday, I was emotionally ready as well as physically ready, and it was pushed back.  It had been pushed back once before but that was a week or 2 before the surgery  not 12 hours before I had to be at the hospital.  Its a little emotionally draining.  Its like I did so much to get ready and was calm and now its back to waiting.  My recipients insurance screwed up and now its messed up everything that was planned.  The surgery was only moved to next Thursday, but I am pretty down about it.  It just leaves more time for us to get sick and for my family to worry (some of them worry way too much).  I know I should be happy its still happening but I moved a lot of things around and had a plan for after the surgery and now I will have to reschedule everything as well as go back to give them more blood sometime this week.  Its just frustrating, sorry if this started to sound like a rant, I am just feeling very down about it being moved last minute, more then my recipient who is taking it very well, I mean whats one more week of dialysis when  you have been doing it for over a year? :(
Donated Kidney on 05/22/2014
My Experience- http://kidneydonorthoughts.blogspot.com/

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: delays
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 08:13:49 AM »
Dear Amber,

Booooo!  I would have been upset too!  Stay low this week, and pamper yourself a little.  I hope all goes well for you both and will be happy to hear when you are through the surgery.

Love, elephant

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 11:33:57 AM »
Just curious: why is it pushed back?

I remember being told that could happen if there was an emergency such as a cadaver kidney suddenly becoming available and the surgeons being required for that.  So I could see once, but twice??

Frustrating, because it does take a certain amount of psyching yourself up to donate (my recipient was never nervous,  but he had so much more to gain).

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 08:36:09 AM »
Ours was bumped up a week when my recipient started a rapid decline and another planned donor-recipient pair were delayed, freeing up two ORs and the surgical teams. That was nerve wracking in a different way, as my family's travel plans were suddenly changed (12 hours notice) and it was quite an abrupt break from work. Best wishes!
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Amberwoo

• Top 100 Poster!
    • My Kidney Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 09:42:34 AM »
In march it was moved because they wanted to remove my recipients kidneys before giving him a new one because they had multiple tumors they couldn't see well using other means.  Then last week his insurance was showing him as inactive even though he was active so the hospital wouldn't proceed till the insurance company fixed it and that took too long.  Hopefully we are still on track for this Thursday!

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 02:37:14 PM »
I know about waiting.  Had three chains cancelled during the summer.  Plan and wait.  Plan and wait.  It isn't easy.  This is not for the faint of heart but someone like yourself who is kind of heart --and kidney.  We're waiting with you and praying for you and your recipient. 

Offline Amberwoo

• Top 100 Poster!
    • My Kidney Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 07:59:29 AM »
Donated on May 22nd!  The surgery went as planned last Thursday!  I was able to come home on Friday and I feel like I am doing good.  I am taking small walks and trying to get used to not being able to do everything for myself, we buy a lot of items in bulk at BJ's so normal things like syrup for my waffles are over my lifting restrictions and It taking me awhile to get used to asking for help. 

Luckily everything went well and my recipient is doing good, he should be coming home today.  We were a little worried about it being delayed again due to my boyfriends surgeon wanting to do a last min chest X-Ray on him because he had trouble breathing due to fluid build up earlier in the week.  It was a little nerve racking thinking it might be delayed after I was already prepped for surgery!  But everything must have looked okay because things went as planned.  So far this has been a good experience I am am just hoping things continue to go well.

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 08:05:27 AM »
Bravo! Wonderful to hear your good news! Best wishes!
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 07:32:37 PM »
Congratulations to you both!
   Fr. Pat

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 07:23:21 PM »
Congratulations.  Sounds like you are doing great!

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 07:29:51 AM »
Many years of health and happiness to you both!
Keep us updated about your progress.

Love, elephant

Offline poodles

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 04:47:34 PM »
Great news congratulations to both of on your successful surgery!

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 08:01:30 PM »
Congratulations & welcome to the club! Be kind to your body & let others dote on you for now. :)
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline Stpfan44

• Top 100 Poster!
  • headache drumroll
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 05:00:32 AM »
 :) :) :) ;)
\44/
/44\

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved