| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Creatinine levels, diet and and kidney size after kidney donation.  (Read 18000 times)

Offline KD

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
Prior to donation on June 17, 2014 my creatinine level was .9.  It has increased to 1.7 in 2 months so my primary physician told me to lower the potassium in my diet.  Has anyone else experienced this, or was told to restrict potassium after donation.  I really didn't expect this.  On a different note, I thought I read somewhere that the remaining kidney would increase in size  to compensate for the removal of the donated kidney.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Thanks in advance for any help.  I guess I have been naïve about my recovery thinking that in 3 weeks all would be as it was prior to donation.

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Creatinine levels, diet and and kidney size after kidney donation.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 02:44:37 PM »
Dear KD,

My level measured by blood tests has hovered between 1.2 and 1.4 since donation. Of course, right after surgery it was even higher.  It gradually dropped to the current level.  For me this appears to be the "new normal" .   I do not think it uncommon for a person with a single kidney to have a higher level.  Muscular people also have a higher level. 

Perhaps your primary physician does not know much about kidney donation.

What did your transplant center tell you?  When is your next follow-up visit?  Have you called the transplant center to ask about the primary physicians recommendation? 

You could always visit a nephrologist independently. 

Love, elephant

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 11:23:23 PM »
My creatinine was very low also pre-donation but at 2 years it has never gotten lower than 1.6.  I got my own nephrologist.  I would recommend you do the same.  He's in your corner and yours alone.  How old are you?  I am 62 and so I don't have as far to go with one kidney as some.  At this point the main thing is to take care of what I have.  My nephrologist is guessing they took my better kidney.  I would think it's still early for you in terms of your remaining kidney responding.  It can take a while.  Blessings.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 02:03:57 AM »
My creatinine level went up to about 1.6 after donation, and it took about two years for it to get down to a consistent 1.2 to 1.4. So far all my doctors (it has been 12 years since donation) have considered this "normal" for me and not to be alarmed about.
    Fr. Pat

Offline JustAPyper

• Top 100 Poster!
  • Paired Exchange Kidney Donor
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 04:47:56 PM »
My experience has been that before surgery I was at about 1.11 and after surgery I went up to 1.59 and then slowly dropped to where a year later I was down to 1.50.

I've heard that being well hydrated can effect the outcome of the creatinine tests so if you aren't well hydrated when  you take the test you may get a higher reading.

I'm only 20 months post surgery so I haven't had my two year test yet but they hospital seemed satisfied with my number and the fact that it was going down not up.

Best wishes,
Roger
Paired Exchange Kidney Donor 11/13/2012

Offline KD

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 07:35:31 PM »
Thanks everyone for your responses.  From what you all have said, higher creatinine levels are "normal" after donation.  I did contact my transplant coordinator and she advised me not to judge my levels by where they are 2 months post-donation.  She said that my 6 month follow-up blood test will be a better indicator of what my levels are.  Also, I spoke to my primary physician and he wants to re-test in 6 weeks because I mistakenly fasted and was dehydrated for my blood test.  Apparently, I am where I should be at 2 months.  Thanks again to  everyone for your help.  I am much relieved.

Offline xmas960

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 01:03:55 PM »
I donated my kidney to my mom in 1995. My creatinine at that time was 1.0 and today it's .98. I'm doing my best to maintain, but it hasn't always been easy. Antibiotics and pain medicines can definitely cause it to increase at times which can be very frustrating.

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
I am 2 years and 8 months post-donation.  My creatinine level has been .9 for quite some time now.  I don't think it was ever higher than 1.2 or so.  My recipient's creatinine (he's my husband) hovers around 1.4.

I haven't been told to do anything in regard to my diet other than drink lots of water (which I do). Make sure you are well-hydrated before you take a blood test, it helps.

I'd wait a while before you worry too much about that number.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 01:21:24 AM »
     It may also help to be moderate in the consumption of animal protein, as it seems that the remaining kidney may have a hard time dealing with the by-products.
     This is not quite connected with the creatinine question, but some donors have been advised by their doctors to take supplements of vitamins D and b12, as it seems that deficiencies in these may occur in kidney donors despite good nutrition.
  best wishes,
    Fr. Pat

Offline Barbara S

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 09:49:26 PM »
After 10 years of in range creatinine levels, my creatinine went up to 1.12.  My PCP insisted that I see a nephrologist, which I did last year.  She did a whole battery of tests, including an abdominal ultrasound, blood work and a 24 hour urine collection.  She made several recommendations, including lowering my cholesterol (which had been 190) by taking crestor 3 times a week.  One year later, my creatinine is at 1.09.  She wants to see me annually - and have another abdominal ultrasound next year, to check my kidney size.  But she figures I have 75 years or so with this one  :)

I do agree - seeing the nephrologist really set my mind at ease.  Good to have her on my team!
Proud Kidney Donor to Brother
December 9, 2003
at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital

Offline marie

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 12:30:13 PM »
I donated my kidney to my boos brother last January 20,2015. April 1 i had blood test and my creatinine was 1.02 and today i did another test and its 1.29mg/dl. our lab. tech told me its normal for me having one kidney, I'm taking care of what i ate and drink. until what creatinine level do we expect? I'm 51yrs old Asian female.

thank you

Marie

Offline Alan

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 03:30:27 AM »
How are you going to lower your potassium levels?

Offline donor99

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 08:20:59 PM »
I am 18 years post donation, i survived ovarian cancer and chemo,  I also have hypertension and my labs from 3 months ago show a creatinine of 1.0...my creatinine clearance pre donation was 120 and my total protein was 80...wonder if that made a difference

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional