| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Questions about becoming a kidney donor to mom  (Read 3145 times)

Offline wendynoble

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Questions about becoming a kidney donor to mom
« on: September 01, 2014, 02:28:57 PM »
My mom has been on dialysis for 5 yrs now. She's working to get on the transplant list in Winston Salem, NC. Has anyone had any experience with this center? I've been thinking of donating my kidney to her. In the past she's always refused my sister and I about taking our kidney. I am in great health but very over weight (BMI over 35). Does anyone know if this would be something that would prevent me from being able to donate to her?  My heart is healthy just recently had test done to check it.  I do not have high blood pressure, and I am not diabetic.  Recently had blood work done and everything was perfect including cholesterol, creatinine, and A1C.  I am O- so would be a universal donor. 

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Questions about becoming a kidney donor to mom
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 07:49:47 AM »
Dear wendy, 

Weight is evaluated as a part of the donor screening.  Since being overweight is linked with diabetes and kidney problems it is an important consideration.  In addition, I believe abdominal surgery is more difficult when we have extra body fat.  I think that the limits on donor weight vary a bit between transplant centers.

I have seen stories about donors who lose weight and donate successfully.  I wish I could encourage each of them to come up with a plan to maintain the weight loss, so as not to burden their single kidney.

You could meet with a certified nutritionist to work out a dietary plan that would help you maintain your good health.  If you are capable, exercise can help you achieve your goals.  Since mom has already been on dialysis for five years, I suppose you have time to lose weight in a sensible manner. 

Love, elephant

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
Re: Questions about becoming a kidney donor to mom
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 09:55:46 AM »
Hi, Wendy.
  Elephant is (alas) correct that being overweight is an issue.  My center needed me below a BMI of 30; others demand 25. 
  For lots of reasons, from long-term implications for BP and kidney health, to the immediate risks of the surgery and anaesthesia, it's really important to get that weight down--and keep it down!
  I got my weight down below 30 (though the very last kilo, for some reason, took the longest).  Since I also needed to watch my BP to be medically approved to donate, I had to watch not just fat and calories, but salt also.  And this is true after donation as well.  You will probably notice that many things with lower fat or fewer calories have tons of salt, which can get a little annoying.
   It's great that you don't have diabetic or BP issues now.  However, how old are you now? Because, as we age, the normal BP and sugar situation might change, so weight control remains important even after donation.
  When I was losing weight for donation, I taught myself to view every cookie or French fry I considered eating to be a bullet aimed at my recipient.  Crude, but effective.  Since donation, though (maybe partly as a reaction to that self-imposed pressure), I've been less successful at keeping the weight off.  Maybe I should look at every potential cookie or French fry as a bullet aimed at my one kidney? 
  In any case, anybody with weight issues, who is considering donating, must be prepared to manage their weight even after the donation.
      Good luck! Snoopy

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved