| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Newbie here  (Read 3964 times)

Offline mrskarenvw

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Newbie here
« on: October 11, 2014, 09:33:49 PM »
 ;DHi everyone.  Not sure how active I'll be because I'm kind of spreading myself thin here, but I found this site on "Dr. Google".  I donated a kidney (lap-hand) as part of a 3 way paired exchange on 10/2/14 for my husband.  Having a lot of pain today, most likely due to the fact that I can't settle myself down and behave.  Most of today has been spent in bed because I was doubled over in pain earlier.  Now experiencing a stabbing pain in my left side, but it seems that is normal.

It's nice to see a whole website set up for donors.  I was devastated when I was initially denied as a donor.  I got the news the day before my husband's 50th surprise birthday party that I was going to be allowed to go through testing after all.  What a great announcement to make.  Less than a year later the surgery is done and I see the man I adore coming back to me more and more each day as he continues to feel better. 

Is anyone here active in volunteering to educate the public?  We attended our first volunteer meeting Wednesday night (6 days post op- not recommended).  I'm looking forward to being able to do what I can to drum up more donors.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Newbie here
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 11:37:14 PM »
     Congratulations to you all! Nice!
     I donated 12 years ago by the large open cut method, and I followed my surgeon's recommendation to do gentle bending and stretching exercises (as much as pain and comfort will allow) to help with the healing. It seemed to help me a lot. Also, try as much as possible to return to your normal posture when standing, walking, sitting, etc. When we have incision pain we naturally tend to change our posture in an effort to avoid that pain, but the new postures put different strains on the muscles and joints. Please keep us informed of how things go.
    Fr. Pat

Offline mrskarenvw

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 05:42:48 AM »
Thanks for the info on the posture.  It makes sense that it would affect other things.  Unfortunately this seems to be going much the same way as when I had prior abdominal surgery.  My sleep is all messed up.  It is now 5:40 am.  I've been up for nearly 24 hours and just spent the last 3 hours cooking and cleaning.  I took a pain pill before going to bed but couldn't fall asleep, so I felt well enough to do a bunch of stuff I shouldn't have done. 

We both have checkups tomorrow (Monday) with the team.  I tried to explain to them my reasoning for not wanting to take the pills, but they don't understand.  Hubby knows me well enough to know that what I'm saying makes sense in my case.  We have to come up with some happy medium where I'm not in a lot of pain but not feeling so good that I run around like an idiot.

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 08:45:03 AM »
Dear mrskarenvw,

My father-in-law would get agitated/insomnia from narcotic pain pills.  Perhaps you are having this unfortunate effect. 

That said, rest and sleep are very important to your recovery.  I hope you find a better solution with your physicians/ 

Love, elephant

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 07:34:18 AM »
Congrats on your donation! I donated to my husband too and almost three years later, he's doing great! He's even been working as a volunteer firefighter.  It's amazing how "normal" he is and how my little kidney can do all that work to keep him healthy.

I stopped taking the pain pills pretty quickly and found Tylenol was enough for me, but I didn't have much pain past the first few days.

Offline jdougrob

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 07:29:05 AM »
BE EXTRA CAREFUL ABOUT LIFTING! My  doc told me not to lift over 15 pounds for three months after my donation.I disobeyed-and wound up needing a hernia repair. My bad!

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional