| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Can a kidney donor donate other organs too (say liver, bone marrow)?  (Read 6812 times)

Offline salman004

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
Hi,

A short history. I had initially decided that I should donate one (or more) of my organs during 2012. It so happened by coincidence that one my younger brothers was diagnosed CKD in 2013, and we had a successful transplant surgery (with the grace of God) in Aug 2014.

My question now is that does my kidney donation prohibit me in going forward for other donations like liver, bone marrow or so? Any advices?

Cheers!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Can a kidney donor donate other organs too (say liver, bone marrow)?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 07:40:27 PM »
Congratulations on your donation!
Yes, you may also donate bone marrow (information at www.marrow.org), although many who offer and give a sample for testing are never matched (a very close genetic match is required.) You may also continue to donate blood and blood platelets.
It is POSSIBLE to donate a liver lobe after having donated a kidney, but there appear to have been few such donations. Many transplant hospitals are unwilling to accept kidney donors for liver donation. And of course liver donation is a much more difficult and dangerous surgery than kidney donation. So you can look into it if you wish, but can expect to find many difficulties.
After death, of course, many organs and tissues can be used, so be sure to register as a donor and make sure your family knows of your wishes.
      Fr. Pat

Offline salman004

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 04:35:49 PM »
Thanks. Shall look into the possibilities.

I do regularly donate blood. Have donated 17/18 times by now. However, my doctor has advised that henceforth I shall donate only once in an year.

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 10:01:56 AM »
If you're willing to share the reasoning your doctor used to recommend limiting your blood donation frequency to 1/6th what the FDA considers safe, and what your doctor's specialty and qualifications are to make this judgement, I'm curious. Have you sought a second opinion? If so, does that practitioner concur? Thanks, and best wishes.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline salman004

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 04:05:55 PM »
Here in India (especially Kerala, the state I come from), doctors are pretty conservative. In fact the society is too.
I was asked not to be in gym or games for three full months (which I had to obey due to familial pressures as well) for apparently not much scientific reason.

I don't underestimate the capabilities of doctors, but most of them are damn too conservative. For instance, hardly anyone tries for a VBAC  (vaginal birth after c-section) for deliveries as they find it too risky (yeah there is some 0.04% of ruptures to happen, which doesnt even mean death or major complications where the chances are even much much lesser); and I'm a victim of the same as my wife had to deliver the 2nd and 3rd as planned c-sections, just because she had the first one as c-section delivery.

In general, the society also are on the conservative side; as even now my friends and family cautions me about sweating it too hard at badminton courts and are always concerned about my food and weight and health and stuff. You can't simply blame the doctor; I would put the onus more on the culture.

Offline jennybebopper

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 02:36:12 PM »
Hello Salman,

Liver donation after kidney donation does exist, but there haven't been enough cases to make most transplant programs feel comfortable with it yet.  Living liver donation in general is still in its relatively early stages and as mentioned, is much riskier than your kidney donation.  Risk of serious complications and even death is higher, partly due to it being an open surgery vs a more laparoscopic approach for kidneys.

Jenny

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved