| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Why should or shouldn't you wear underwear?  (Read 3820 times)

Offline salman004

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
Why should or shouldn't you wear underwear?
« on: January 10, 2015, 03:44:21 PM »
I donated (Kidney - Laproscopy) 5 months before, and ever since I had battled with some stiffness across the stitch area.

I used to wear some very loose clothes for the first 2-3 months; but has now switched to normal clothes (trousers and tees).

However, I had found that the elastic of underwear (and even that of trousers at times) cause more stiffness around the stitch area; and I therefore alternate frequently between wearing and not wearing underwear (Roughly 40-60 in favor of not wearing you can say). (To recall, I also had swollen testicle issue after surgery, which lasted for at least 3 months, but I'm fine on that regard now).

While I had a casual discussion about the same with one of my friends, he suggested that not wearing underwear can cause some medical issues and therefore I should be looking forward to wearing it.

Having gone through some websites, the advantages-disadvantages, I find mixed reviews on either ways; but then, those are not for kidney donors.

I was wondering if there are any donors out here had similar experiences (stiffness, swollen testicle issue, etc.) and had ditched wearing underwear for short/medium/long term? And also is there any major medical complications that could arise which warrants wearing underwear at any cost?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 03:48:14 PM by salman004 »

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Size matters...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 10:07:33 PM »
Best wishes! Empathy on the challenges you're dealing with. I tried several new (to me) designs of underwear during my hydrocele expansion period. Based on that survey of the options available, I've stuck with some very comfortable boxer briefs. Shop around, there's lots of choices. And yes, try bumping up a size. That helps. Hope you find a design you like.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional