| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Berger's Disease kidney donation?  (Read 4611 times)

Offline Ccorey

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Berger's Disease kidney donation?
« on: February 25, 2015, 05:17:32 AM »
Hi. Could anyone tell me if they've donated or know of someone who has donated a kidney to someone with Berger's Disease (IgA Nephropathy)? There is a great deal of vague and/or conflicting information out there regarding transplant success and I would welcome the chance to speak with someone with personal experience. Thank you!!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Berger's Disease kidney donation?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 05:59:25 AM »
     You might want to post your question also at the facebook page of Living Donors On Line, as these days it appears that more donors use that method rather than check here at the website.
  best wishes,
\    Fr. Pat

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Berger's Disease kidney donation?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 07:20:46 AM »
I donated to my brother  in 2007 who has IgA nephropathy. He is doing well as far as I know. He told me his creatinine is within normal limits now. We had our surgeries prior to the time he would have needed dialysis and recovery for him was uneventful as was mine.

What type of conflicting information are you getting? I did go to an outside nephrologist (not at the hospital where I donated) to get a second opinion about my health status and donation. I was 44 at the time, showed no signs of IgA so he thought it was not an issue for me to donate. My creatinine now is .9 just slightly above from my pre donation of .7 or .8. I do have another brother who has microscopic hematuria, a symptom my "kidney" brother had which led him to investigate his kidney health, but he does not seem to have any deteriorating kidney disease. I know he watches his blood pressure and I hope he limits nephrotoxic agents. I believe he sees a nephrologist to check in every so often.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved