| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Bloated pain in abdomen post kidney donation  (Read 10326 times)

Offline Dman53

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Bloated pain in abdomen post kidney donation
« on: March 27, 2015, 08:41:32 AM »
Hello all,

I am 27 and just donated a kidney on March 11. While I definitely underestimated the pain, I have been lucky enough to avoid most complications, besides a healing ridge on the main suture that feels like the size of a large grape at a certain spot. I was assured this was not a hernia, but that incision has been my main source of pain. Creatinine was 1 before, 1.7 directly after and one week after. Just some background before my question!

My main source of pain has been while sleeping. I have not yet made it through the night without waking up at least twice. I am no longer taking pain meds.. The problem can be best described as a build up of gas in my abdomen area, which seems to put pressure on everything in that area, making it almost impossible to fall back asleep without waking up and walking around, and potentially using restroom. I have not encountered this problem while sitting, just laying down.

I understand I am only 2.5 weeks post surgery and that a build up of the gas they pump into you could be the cause, but I had never read about pain from that occurring this long after surgery, and they only mentioned pain in shoulder. I just wanted to see if anyone else encountered something similar, because like many, I assume I am overthinking everything right now and I would like to understand if this is common!

Thank you for your time,

Offline Mrs.Fig

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Re: Bloated pain in abdomen post kidney donation
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 03:56:06 PM »
From what I know of post op patients in general, it's  not uncommon to have more pain while laying down because everything sort of settles and moves about when you lay flat.  What I would suggest would be to try to sleep propped up with pillows or even in a recliner, if that is more comfortable.

I wouldn't hesitate to call your doc and verify, but it does sound very normal to me.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 07:18:10 PM »
I myself did not have that problem, but I donated by the big open-cut method so there was no pumping of gas involved. You might want to also post your question at the face-book page of Living Donors on Line, as these days there seem to be many more donors checking in there than there are here. Just go to www.facebook.com and type in Living Donors on Line. There is a separate face-book page called "Living Donors with Complications" that might also be of interest if the problem persists. Congratulations on your donation!
      Fr. Pat

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 02:59:22 AM »
     I'll also mention something that helped me during recovery, although my donation surgery method was different from yours.
    My surgeon recommended bending and stretching exercises (as far as pain permitted, and moving until I felt pressure at the incision, then holding that position for a few seconds before relaxing.) But what really surprised me was when I first lay down on the floor, flat on my back with arms and legs extended in order to stretch. There was such a gurgling, bubbling and rumbling inside! Like a volcano getting ready to blow. But it did seem to help get my innards back in place.
     If I understand it right, when the kidney is removed the surrounding organs have to shift around gradually to fill the gap, until all the organs find their most comfy spot among the others. In the meantime the space is filled with fluids (and maybe some gas in your case of lap surgery?) Anyway I felt that moving around, bending, stretching etc. seemed to help. Also, be attentive to maintaining correct posture when standing, sitting, walking. After surgery we tend to unconsciously scrunch over to try to avoid incision pain, and this strange posture puts a different strain on our muscles and joints and makes it harder for the innards to shift around correctly.
     So, that "worked for me" so maybe it can be helpful to you.
     Please let us know how things go.
                  Fr. Pat

Offline Dman53

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 05:16:51 PM »
Thank you both so much for the input. Ever since I posted this, my pain during night has improved greatly and I can make it through the night for the most part! So that was a great turn of events. Unfortunately though, my previous testicular pain has now changed into testicular pain in just one area and the area is enlarged, but the doctor said swelling was a normal side effect. So replace one side effect with another, but hopefully I see improvement in this area as well! Reading online, it sounds like this is a pretty common side effect for men, but none if the literature I was provided contained any referees to that.

Thank you all again,

Dan

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 06:50:48 PM »
Dear Dan,
     I did not have the testicular pain problem, but it is definitely a possible side-effect. I have read that from 5 to 10% of male donors get it, some of them very seriously. It really should be included in the information given to male potential donors beforehand so that they can make a truly informed consent. I would suggest that you write to the transplant coordinator and recommend that it be included in the orientations in the future (and maybe ask why you were NOT told about the possibility since it is documented in medical studies!)
  best wishes,
     Fr. Pat

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved