| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: One Year Anniversary!!! Yeah!  (Read 7892 times)

Cindy

One Year Anniversary!!! Yeah!
« on: February 22, 2011, 07:55:12 AM »
Today is the first anniversary of the relocation of my left kidney to my brother Wayne.  I can't believe a year has passed and what a difference it has made.
A year ago Wayne was so sick it was just a struggle to keep breathing. Today he is laughing and running full of so much energy it is hard for the rest of the world to keep up with him.

I am very happy to report that he is doing excellent with relatively few issues over the past year.   It was such a worthwhile journey to be able to help someone achieve a healthier life.  I would do it all again in a heartbeat if I had another kidney to give.

Have a great day everyone!
Cindy

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: One Year Anniversary!!! Yeah!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 10:17:50 AM »
Congratulations, Cindy! To both of you!!! It's so good to hear that you both are doing marvelously! Time goes so quickly, doesn't it? Thank you for your beautiful, giving heart! I think those of us who would donate over and over should have been born with a plethra of kidneys.  heheheh!

Congrats again! Thank you for the update!
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline llinton98

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 11:30:21 AM »
Congratulations Cindy!

Incredible how quickly it all goes by isn't it? Wonderful to hear that your brother's quality of life has improved so tremendously. You must be so happy. Do something nice for yourself to celebrate - you deserve it!!!

Best,
Laura

Offline treehugger

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 01:02:09 PM »
Congratulations to you and your recipient on reaching the very exciting 1-year milestone! It comes so fast, much faster than can be believed, and feels so good.

As the wife of a recipient, I can say that, for physical well-being, the 1-year mark was a much bigger deal for my husband than for myself as a donor. That's because I returned to good health so quickly and could barely even remember the pain and discomfort of surgery after 2 months or so. But my husband had a much harder road post-transplant (and pre-transplant, of course!), and we *still* don't take his current good health for granted.

That said, we both felt so great about his new kidney reaching the 1-year mark (over 2 months ago already, wow) that it was a wonderful celebration for us both. I have no clue about how the kidney I gave away is doing (it flew from CA to PA, to a stranger), but I am going with the "ignorance is bliss" philosophy and assuming all is well for my recipient.

Kara
Donated left kidney to my husband via paired exchange on 12/17/09.

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 05:23:54 PM »
The first year is a special and memorable milestone. Congratulations to you and your brother, Cindy!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 06:37:04 PM »
Congratulations Cindy to both you and your Brother! I too was amazed at how quickly that first year went by. I am so glad to hear that you and your brother are both doing so well. Here is to many, many more good years!! :)

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline Barbara S

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 07:58:51 PM »
Congrats on your one year kidneyversary!!  May you celebrate many many more!!
Proud Kidney Donor to Brother
December 9, 2003
at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital

Offline Big Bro

• Conversationalist
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 10:54:31 PM »
Great for you both, just had my 1 year. Life goes on.....

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional