| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Anyone know how soon you can go ice skating after transplant?  (Read 6253 times)

Offline KidneyHelpPLEASE

• Top 50 poster!
Anyone know how soon you can go ice skating after a kidney transplant?

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Re: Anyone know how soon you can go ice skating after transplant?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 07:28:33 PM »
Ice skating by itself--that is, not hockey--seems innocent enough. I've skated many times post donation without any concerns.

Enjoy yourself!
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 10:23:05 PM »
Oh, wait... you're a kidney recipient, not a donor, right? If so, you might have better luck getting an answer specific to kidney recipients from a different web site.

I still hope you enjoy yourself.  ;)
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline KidneyHelpPLEASE

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 05:57:49 PM »
I am TRYING very hard to get a kidney as it is my 5th YEAR of dialysis 11 hours a day! This is my 2nd transplant but during my first transplant I was active and ran and lifted weights. I fell while running sometimes and it never hurt my transplanted kidney.

Even if you did play ice hockey it would be the slow NON contact type and nothing like pro hockey. I could put some extra padding over the kidney just in case but I see no problem as long as I'm careful.

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 07:42:12 PM »
Not sure if this helps, but my husband was cleared to be a volunteer firefighter about a year, or less,  after his transplant.  He has to lift lots of weight, throw himself out windows (for practice), etc. 

Hope you get another kidney soon and can ice skate shortly thereafter.

Offline KidneyHelpPLEASE

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 05:59:24 PM »
Thanks CK! I sure want to get that transplant soon and FINALS start living life!

As a firefighter he not only has to lift heavy things but he also has the risk of falling so I'm sure I'll be ok falling on the ice. I already fell on my treadmill with a transplanted kidney going MAXIMUM speed and my kidney was fine!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional