| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: New potential altruistic donor  (Read 12578 times)

Offline Jjcop

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
New potential altruistic donor
« on: May 04, 2015, 01:55:06 PM »
So after some research and soul searching I have decided to take the steps to become a living kidney donor. I am a 35 year old male with O neg blood. My wife isn't crazy about me doing this but has somewhat giving me her blessing. I haven't told anyone else yet. I visited a transplant hospital in Fort Worth and will begin my testing in 2 weeks. I have stopped drinking until I take my tests. Any other recommendations? 

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: New potential altruistic donor
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 08:29:21 PM »
JJcop,

Always nice to see people who are considering becoming a living kidney donor. Best advice I can give is to educate yourself on the process, ask questions and make sure you understand everything involved in undergoing an elective surgery. If you are currently a smoker, good time to stop, begin a good exercise program (nothing crazy just get moving) healthy eating etc.

Make sure you have a good support system to get you through the surgery. Look over your finances and make sure you are able to dedicate a good amount of time to take off from work for recovery and a cushion should you sustain some unanticipated side effects and need to take off more than the transplant center recommends. Make sure life insurance is in order, access to your own health insurance for future follow after the transplant center puts you back to your own doctor. You may want to discuss this with your own physician or see a nephrologist outside the transplant center to see if they would consider you a good candidate.

Be prepared to have lots of waiting. Use this time to read about the surgery, possible adverse effects.Some of the male donors on this site have reported issues regarding testicular swelling and pain as this has occurred with left donor nephrectomy.

You can even look for a buddy on this group or ask your transplant center to connect you with other donors, both who have had positive and negative experiences.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 02:30:06 AM »
That's really nice of you to donate. There are so many people waiting.
My daughter needs a kidney donor, type O. www.facebook.com/wantedkidneydonor
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 11:26:30 AM »
Dear Jjcop,

Keep us updated on your progress.  I found the testing process very interesting.

I agree about seeing an independent nephrologist.   Request a copy of all your test results from the hospital, then perhaps you wouldn't have to repeat a lot of lab work. 

I didn't talk a lot about my donation, to avoid any unproductive conversations. 

Love, elephant

Offline Jjcop

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 01:52:26 AM »
Ok kiddos. Just went through my first step. Blood work. Psycho social work up and donor education. More excited than ever. My wife has come around on the idea so that makes it easier. Just waiting on the test results now. Wish me luck. Can't wait to start a chain

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 08:21:49 AM »
Dear Jjcop,

Wishing you and your dear wife the best in all things! 

Love, elephant

Offline KidneyHelpPLEASE

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 08:22:41 AM »
I desperately need a kidney and I am O blood type as well. It's great that you are doing this Jjcop. You are truly and angel on earth and you won't be disappointed being an altruistic donor!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 08:30:40 AM by KidneyHelpPLEASE »

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 04:02:55 PM »
Ok kiddos. Just went through my first step. Blood work. Psycho social work up and donor education. More excited than ever. My wife has come around on the idea so that makes it easier. Just waiting on the test results now. Wish me luck. Can't wait to start a chain

That's great!
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline Andrew Aharon

• Top 200 Poster!
  • Kidney Donor Nov 2014
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 02:48:42 PM »
I donated in Nov 2014 to my girlfriend. 

EXERCISE/FITNESS.  If you proceed with donation, consider using the pre-surg time to get into the best shape you reasonably can.  Lose weight if appropriate and increase strength.  Can make a huge impact on your recovery.  Also, my nephrologist suggested pre-op that I strengthen my lower back and oblique muscles.  After my surg, I understood perfectly his suggestion.  It is possible that you will have an incision straight through your abdomen and will have not have any abdominal strength for a while after surg.  You will deploy your back/oblique muscles to take over for your compromised abdominal muscles.  In time, your abdominals will recover.  I believe that my pre-op fitness helped quicken my recovery.

Best wishes.

Offline KidneyHelpPLEASE

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 05:55:55 PM »
I think I misunderstood here. I though Jjcop is looking for a recipient but it looks like he already has one.

Offline Jjcop

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 11:46:13 PM »
I'm not actively looking for a recipient. I would like to do the surgery at Fort Worth transplant institute and I left it in their hands to pick the best recipient for me from the NKR list. I just expressed interest in starting a chain so I could help as many people as I can.

Offline KidneyHelpPLEASE

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 12:12:58 AM »
If you need a recipient I'm here! My 5th year of hellish dialysis and STILL no donor.

We are the same blood type and I PM'd you. What is an NKR list?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 12:15:21 AM by KidneyHelpPLEASE »

Offline Jjcop

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 11:18:10 PM »
That may not be the right acronym, the National Kidney Registry list.

Offline himer24

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 12:27:32 AM »
Hello Jjcop, congrats on your decision.. I was an altruistic donor in 2007 and if you have any questions? Please don't hesitate... I can guide you on my experience and can tell you what too look out for.. God Bless...  my regular email address is : himer24@yahoo.com   

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2015, 08:25:31 AM »
Hi Jjcop, I'm local to you. A little east by DFW. Please let me know if you have any questions or need some local support. You're doing a great thing. I donated out of the area to someone I didn't know, but now we are like extended family. It was the greatest experience of my life, but be sure to read the good and the bad. Some donors have severe complications. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Enjoy the process! It is very interesting.
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional